Employer: Illuminate Education
Illuminate Education partners with K-12 educators to equip them with data to serve the whole child and reach new levels of student performance. Our solution brings together holistic data and collaborative tools and puts them in the hands of educators. This is an opportunity to join a team that is passionate about improving the lives of teachers and students. Headquartered in Irvine, CA, Illuminate supports over 17 million students and 5200 schools and districts across all 50 states.
Illuminate is seeking a talented UI/UX Designer to specialize in one or more of our assessment products. Our ideal candidate will have strong design skills and a passion for making complicated workflows simple and easy to understand. Must be able to work with multiple project teams simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. If you are passionate about working on customer-facing products that have real-life impact and are ready to contribute your knowledge, expand your talents, learn, and innovate with us, we are looking for you!
About the Opportunity
As a UI/UX designer, you’ll be joining our UX Team while working closely with Product Management, Engineering, and other teams to drive and lead incredible user experiences across our products for K-12 students and educators.
You’ll be responsible for researching, designing, and prototyping new user experiences based on product and customer requirements. Deliverables include both low fidelity and high fidelity mockups, basic prototypes (clickables), wireframes, and design specifications.
You should possess exceptional user experience and visual design skills, as well as user-centered design principles. You must have an affinity for exceptional software product usability, complex data visualization, visual consistency, and detail. You must be able to grasp and distill highly complex issues and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions while working in a fast paced, ever-changing, and deadline-driven environment. And overall, you should be passionate about resolving user pain points and delivering amazing user experiences through empathy and great design.
- Become an expert in Illuminate’s assessment products, while building expertise on the other core Illuminate products with an eye for integration and collaboration.
- Be an active member of the UX Team, contributing to our design processes, tools, and norms.
- Work with our other designers to leverage our design system, utilizing and creating reusable components and patterns across our products.
- Gather user requirements and aggregate user needs into designs.
- Conduct user research to validate user needs and feedback through focus groups, surveys, customer journey mapping exercises, usability tests, and related activities.
- Prepare and present initial designs to internal teams and key stakeholders and rapidly iterate based on internal and external feedback, discussions, and data.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in design, HCI, computer science, psychology, or related field.
- 5 years experience designing interactive experiences from discovery to execution in a web-based software environment and the ability to share prior design work examples.
- Strong expertise in common design software tools such as Figma (preferred) or Sketch.
- Demonstrable data visualization skills translating large and complex data into highly consumable and intuitive workflows.
- Experience with working within constraints and understanding the right tradeoffs to make, and the confidence in executing on decisions.
- Current on the latest responsive web design techniques for desktop and mobile design.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS and familiarity with front-end frameworks (Vue, React, etc.) is a plus.
- Knowledge and/or experience with web accessibility standards.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and presentation communication skills.
- A readiness to proactively drive change and improvement across cross-functional teams
- A passion for solving problems for educators and students
- Experience designing for educators and students in a web-based software environment or ability to share examples of design work that center around an educator persona.