The Who, What, Why and Where
- As a staff software engineer in the Segment Cloud group, you will help us expand our global footprint by helping us take our products from the regions we serve today to all over the world.
- You’ll be working with an incredibly talented team of senior engineers and product leads across the company to help ship the products.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of working in a fast paced and iterative environment. They also have:
- Minimum of 6 years experience as a Software Engineer, Systems Administrator, Operations Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, or another similar role
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills, sense of ownership, and drive
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Compute Platform (GCP)
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Go, Python, Node.js, Bash, or similar languages
- Have experience building multi-tenant and hybrid cloud systems
- Have hands-on experience with container orchestration frameworks (e.g. Kubernetes, EKS, ECS)
- Have hands-on experience in operating event-based systems (e.g. Kafka) capable of processing millions of events per second and petabytes of data each month
- Have lead teams, large projects, or been the owner of an important system
As a staff software engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- DRAW THE OWL: Architect and build the next generation of cloud platform that runs all of Segment’s services
- BE BOLD: Build globally available and highly scalable distributed systems
- BE INCLUSIVE: Collaborate with teams across the R&D org to ensure their services are multi-region capable
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Mentor other engineers on the team on technical architecture and design
- DON’T SETTLE: Participate in driving Segment as a market leader in the development of Open Source Software like kafka-go, chamber, kubeapply, etc.
- BE AN OWNER: Participate in an on-call rotation to support our business-critical infrastructure
- The Segment Cloud group is central to Twilio Segment’s global expansion strategy.
- Our mission is to expand our product delivery options to unlock a broader international customer base, large scale customers, and more sensitive industries for Segment.
- This includes new full public cloud regions as well as deployments in the customers’ cloud environment to allow us to truly serve our global customer base.
- Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications.
- Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience.
- We only win when our employees succeed and we’re dedicated to helping you develop your strengths.
- We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is for remote locations anywhere in the USA . Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio’s reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $132,928.00 – $182,776.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $116,312.00 – $159,929.00
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks