Title: Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Payments)
Location: Remote US
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
The Payments Engineering team is responsible for building the systems which power financial transactions at Affirm, from our consumer scale lending products to enterprise money movements. We are looking for a highly motivated Staff Software Engineer to design and build the next generation of services which serve all of our financial products. You will work to integrate industry leading payment processors and banking partners, abstracting the complexity into scalable and fault tolerant services to other Affirm engineering teams.
What you’ll do
- Design and build scalable and robust payment services which power billions of dollars in transactions every year.
- Partner with Product managers on building beautiful internal APIs to enable payments across our products.
- Work closely with our Partnerships team on integrating the best vendors in the payments space.
- Mentor engineers on the team to help improve their designs, code quality, and testing.
- Develop a deep understanding of the payments industry.
- Establish effective monitoring, alerting, and on-call rotations to serve this mission critical area.
What we look for
- 7+ years of proven experience as a software engineer
- Eager to learn new things and have a growth mindset.
- Experience with Payments systems and vendors.
- Fluency in back end development.
- Familiarity with Python, AWS, and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Prior experience architecting, building, launching and maintaining consumer scale products.
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
Location – Remote U.S.
Grade – USA 31
Employees in proximal-to-office roles have the option of working from an Affirm office in the U.S. or remotely, if they are able to return occasionally to the office with one business day’s notice and potentially for consecutive days, in order to fulfill certain job duties and responsibilities. For required in-office presence, Affirm pays expenses for travel to and from the office of up to 90 miles one-way. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here.
If you got this far, we hope you’re feeling excited about this role. Even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people who believe in Affirm’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.