Title: Staff Product/UX Designer, Design Systems
Location: Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote France, Remote UK, Berlin, Germany
Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product the Firefox browser has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
We’re looking for a thoughtful and detail oriented staff level design systems designer to help us scale our design system team. As a Staff Design System Designer, you’ll be leading the maintenance and evolution of the Firefox design system through our processes, tools, documentation, guidelines, and patterns. As a connection between our design and engineering teams, you’ll champion clarity, cohesion, accessibility, and scalability of Firefox. In this hands-on design role, you’ll have the opportunity to partner with curious and mission driven designers, researchers, content designers, engineers, product managers, and community members to build high quality products that make the internet a better place.
This role may be right for you if
- You want to work on challenges related to the openness, health, and accessibility of the Internet, and ensure the safety, privacy, and well-being of the people using it.
- You’re excited about growing and maturing a design system along with a strong team of designers.
- You have a desire to engage in creative problem-solving within open-ended and ambiguous domains, and can distill and communicate sophisticated ideas textually, visually, and interactively.
- You want to work in an environment that allows you to both contribute and grow your design abilities, as well as engage in organizational and innovation strategy.
- You work well independently to scope, prioritize, and implement cross-functional design projects, as well as work well on a team collaborating on ideas, giving and accepting feedback, and aligning to team and organizational goals.
- If you are driven by helping people, problem-solving, working in an organization that allows you to develop your human-centered design skills, while supporting a mission that is driven to ensure the Internet is a global public resource open and accessible, then this is the right position for you! Additionally, this job is for you if you consider yourself a creative worker, a forward-thinking and open problem solver, and passionate about working toward just and equitable solutions for varied communities.
- Given the design and interactive nature of this work, you should have experience or eagerness to work remotely across time zones on design and creative activities.
What You’ll Get To Do
- Be a leader through the creation and definition of shared design patterns and experiences across our digital products.
- Create wireframes, visual designs, interaction guidelines, and prototypes of components and patterns within our products.
- Design and document components for the design system with a focus on accessibility, usability, and internationalization.
- Partner with designers and engineers to identify patterns ready to be codified as components into the design system.
- Document best practices and usage guidelines to help designers and engineers understand how, why, and when to use specific components or patterns.
- Evolve and maintain Figma libraries, components, and tokens for designers.
- Provide support and guidance to our system users, while considering their unique design and technical needs.
- Lead design sessions and workshops.
- Mentor design team members and advocate for high design standards.
- Define ways to improve the quality of the design system.
- 7+ years of professional product or UX design experience
- You’ve worked on and contributed to a design system at scale
- You have a creative edge and a portfolio with examples of your work
- Enthusiasm for maturing design systems
- Ability to partner with cross functional teams
- Self-starter who thrives on responsibility and accountability
- Flexible, efficient, and comfortable with ambiguity and able to move quickly from planning to execution
- Passionate about ethical and people-centered design
- In depth knowledge of UX best practices
- Ability to be strategic and outcome oriented
- Have a background in designing cross platform products for both web and native mobile.
- Deep experience with Figma
- Keep up to date with new design system technologies, tools, and best practices.
- Deep understanding of developing products that prioritize accessibility
- Front end and/or mobile technical knowledge
- Conducting design system research
- Icon design skills
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.