Software Engineer – Full Stack (Remote)
Location: United States
Who we are
At Path we believe behavioral health should be treated with the same respect, rigor, and focus of other chronic diseases. We’re building the future of mental health, and in 20 years we’ll look back and be astounded that we ever treated the physical before the mental.
What we’re solving
Over 65 million Americans suffer from a treatable mental health issue – that’s 1 out of every 5 people. Today it’s difficult to find a provider, and for those with complicated conditions, it’s nearly impossible to find coordinated care. We’re here to fix this.
How we’re solving
Path is at the intersection of tech + mental health with thousands of therapists, psychiatrists, and other mental health services delivering care through a virtual first approach. Our platform matches patients with exactly the right person for their needs, whether it’s experience with a certain condition, gender, race, location, life experience, etc.
As a member of Path’s Engineering team, you’ll be able to focus on doing your best work and create a real impact with a team of like-minded people who waste minimal time on unnecessary overhead. While we’re looking for software engineers of all levels of seniority, we’re excited by candidates who enjoy and are capable of working on a small team with a fast-growing product. We’re looking for generalists who can work across the stack and those who gravitate towards frontend, backend, or infrastructure engineering. We recognize people are passionate about different areas and you’ll have the option to be involved in as much (or as little) as you’d like.
Today we build products for 2 primary customers; patients and therapists:
On the patient side, we’re focused on a fast and delightful enrollment where patients can find a therapist that’s right for them and who takes their insurance in less than 10 minutes.
On the therapist side, we’re building a full set of practice management software including patient recruiting, scheduling, patient notes, referrals, and more. Our therapists spend all day in Path and their experience needs to be fantastic.
This is a really unique opportunity to help build on the foundational engineering infrastructure at a company where the business is already humming and we have thousands of users every day. If this sounds exciting and energizing, we’d love to talk!
Path’s systems are written in Ruby on Rails, with React frontends. We use Postgres for our databases and everything is hosted on AWS. We also make heavy use of existing tools like Salesforce, Airtable, Typeform, etc. This has enabled us to scale very quickly with a small team but we’re now ready to bring much of this work in-house. We’re standing up the technical foundation that will power the future of the company. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have experience with the specific technologies in our stack, we’d still love to connect with you!
What You’ll Be Doing
As an engineer at Path, you’ll have endless opportunities to help build, shape, and lay the tracks for future technical infrastructure, and provide input on product, design, and cultural decisions, if that interests you.
In this role, you will:
- Spend most of your time writing code. We are a small team with minimal overhead and you’ll spend the vast majority of your day actually writing code.
- Build, test, and deploy software in a continuous manner (we deploy throughout the week, if not every day)
- Work across the company to shape the future of the engineering organization. We are getting started and if there’s a topic you’re passionate about like recruiting, deployment, infrastructure, tools, etc., we’re excited for you to contribute.
- Actively shape the product direction by participating in product reviews, design reviews, and customer research.
- Create and contribute to technical specs and testing/rollout plans.
- Work with external and internal stakeholders to ensure we’re solving the right problems.
- Mentor and sponsor your teammates to help them grow.
What We’re Looking For
Even if you don’t have experience with the specific technologies in our stack, we’d love to talk to you! An ideal candidate would be someone with the following traits:
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
- Self-managed work-ethic. We are building a highly focused, low overhead team and trust people to get their work done on their own initiative
- Shipped customer-focused software at scale
- Problem solvers, people who are going to be able to spot problems in existing systems and/or people who come with a solution-oriented approach
- Working experience from a technology company or technology startup
- Collaborative working style, success working across functions
- Clear and concise written, verbal, and technical communication skills
- Experience writing well-structured, well-tested, and maintainable code
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and teach others
Path is a respectful, upbeat, and remote-first team united by our mission of simplifying behavioral healthcare services. We want our employees to be themselves and celebrate each other’s differences. We trust our employees to do what’s best for patients and our fellow team members without bureaucracy. We prioritize self-care and are building a sustainable business for the long term.
As Part Of Our Team, Full-Time Employees Receive
- The ability to work from wherever you want within the US
- Competitive pay and benefits that don’t change based on your location
- 2 company-wide shutdown weeks each year to focus on self-care
- Paid parental leave to support you and your family
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance through our employer plan
- Access to our 401K
- Access to an Employer Assistance Plan (EAP) through our insurance plan
- The equipment you need to ensure your home office sets you up for success