Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
About the Role of the Senior Software Engineer
As a Software Engineer at Gremlin, you will have the opportunity to improve the reliability of the internet at large by developing Chaos Engineering tooling. You will be able to leverage your engineering experience to inform product design as well as solve complex technical problems that directly impact our customers (which range from the Fortune 500 to smaller organizations). You will work closely with a small, talented team focused on quality, delivery, and predictability.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders to design and build the latest and greatest in Chaos Engineering tooling
- Leverage strong collaboration and communication skills to deliver new features within a remote culture
- Partner with product and other business units to understand business problems and present technical solutions and tradeoffs
- Actively mentor and grow your teammates
- Care deeply about the customer experience
We’ll expect you to have:
- Self driven and collaborative problem solver with strong communication skills
- 3+ years professional Java software engineering experience
- Strong at breaking down ambiguous problems into concrete actions and milestones
- Experience with agile development environments and practices
- Strong advocate and practitioner of automated testing, CI/CD, code quality, and engineering best practices
- Experience in architecting complex distributed systems and integrating with external systems
- Experience in cloud technologies: e.g., AWS, DynamoDB, Lambda, Serverless
- Experience or strong interest in infrastructure & systems level technologies: e.g., Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.
- Has been on-call and participated in an incident management program
- Experience or interest in Rust & Systems Level Programming
- Experience taking features from concept to full production release
*If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As Call Leaders they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERSÂ – We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTIONÂ – We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROLÂ – We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICALÂ – We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that up front, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSIONÂ – We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITYÂ – We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.