Social Media Lead
Job Location US-Remote | US-DC | US-VA-Arlington | US-TX-Austin | US-IL-Chicago | US-MD-Columbia | US-CA-Oakland | US-MD-Rockville | US-MD-Rockville | US-CA-Sacramento | US-WA-Seattle | …
AIR’s Communications & Public Affairs team seeks a Social Media Lead who will amplify the voice of the organization across all AIR social media channels. The Social Media Lead is a proactive, creative, innovative, enthusiastic, and data-driven individual who, working with AIR’s Corporate Communications team, can plan, develop, implement, analyze, and execute AIR’s strategic social media initiatives. We’re looking for the right person to elevate our social media channels with content, campaigns, and other engagement techniques that are creative, fun, strategic, and measurable. The Social Media Lead will also advise and provide training to program teams and staff at all levels on social media strategy, campaigns, and best practices.
Candidates hired for the position may work remotely in the United States or from one of our U.S. office locations.
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, AIR is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit institution that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance to solve some of the most urgent challenges in the U.S. and around the world. We advance evidence in the areas of education, health, the workforce, human services, and international development to create a better, more equitable world.
AIR’s commitment to diversity goes beyond legal compliance to its full integration in our strategy, operations, and work environment. At AIR, we define diversity broadly, considering everyone’s unique life and community experiences. We believe that embracing diverse perspectives, abilities/disabilities, racial/ethnic and cultural backgrounds, styles, ages, genders, gender identities and expressions, education backgrounds, and life stories drives innovation and employee engagement. Learn more about AIR’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy and hear from our staff by clicking here.
The responsibilities for the position include:
- Develop and execute a strategy for social-first content and audience engagement for AIR on traditional and emerging social media platforms
- Manage AIR’s corporate social media profiles. Compose, edit, and post social media content on corporate channels. Assess social media mentions and draft responses. Maintain the voice and quality on all AIR social media channels
- Contribute to the development of the team’s editorial calendar and work collaboratively with the overall Communications & Public Affairs team (including video, website, content, and program staff) to identify opportunities for campaigns and cross-promotion
- Stay on top of industry trends and news to keep our channels fresh and innovative.
- Experiment with social-first graphics, GIFs, videos, and social platform features and functionalities in real-time
- Measure the impact of social media and report on insights gained from social media monitoring, campaigns, competitive information, and A/B testing
- Track social media engagement and metrics to inform and refine strategy and generate regular reports for staff and/or projects
- Monitor social conversations around the brand, and report on audience attitudes and reactions
- Collaborate with the Digital Lead and other Communications team members to work with internal and external stakeholders on communication plans and social media campaigns, events, and projects
- Collaborate with the Digital Lead and other Communications team members to develop targeted social media advertising and startegy
- Provide advice, counsel, and strategic thinking about effective social media communication.
- Educate staff at all levels on social media best practices and create internal guidance documents and trainings around the use of social media as needed
- Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time based on institutional needs
Education, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of experience within communications, digital communications, social/digital media, marketing, or a related field
- Deep knowledge of all major social media platforms
- Experiencing managing large social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and others, ideally as the voice of a company or organization, preferably a nonprofit or similar
- Experience and confidence using each platform’s content tools (e.g., Facebook Creator Studio) and third-party social media tools (Sprout Social and others).
- In-depth knowledge of digital reporting/analytics tools (TweetDeck, Sprout Social, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Experience creating and measuring social media campaigns to promote action and engagement
- Experience with paid social media advertising campaigns, channels, and tools
- Excellent writing and editing skills with a focus on detail and accuracy, and an ability to distill complex topics into bite-sized, accessible content
- Effective communicator continually demonstrating sensitivity to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, and collaborate as a member of team, while prioritizing multiple objectives and projects to consistently meet established timelines
- Demonstrated analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Capacity to identify strategic opportunities for social media content (and timing of posts) in news topics to make the connection between the topic and AIR work
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Experience with project management tools, such as Asana and SharePoint
- Ability to plan strategically but stay on top of tactical execution
- Ability to present concepts and findings to broader teams and staff of all levels
- Experience training staff on social media campaigns and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive and sometimes confidential issues appropriately; skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships
- Strong editorial judgement skills
- Proficiency in popular design tools, such as Canva, Adobe Photoshop, and/or Illustrator; ability to learn new tools and software as required to fulfill the position’s duties
AIR requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or receive a legally required exemption from AIR, as a condition of employment. AIR will ask candidates to verify their vaccination status only after a conditional offer of employment is made. Applicants should not provide information about their vaccination status or need for exemption prior to receiving a conditional offer of employment from AIR
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship (including H-1B sponsorship) is not available for this position. Depending on project work, qualified candidates may need to meet certain residency requirements.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please note, each section of the application is required in order for you to be considered for this opportunity. If you do not complete the required screening questions, or if you close your browser before completing each section of the application, your application will not be submitted for this position.
American Institutes for Research is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
American Institutes for Research’s commitment to Diversity goes beyond legal compliance to its full integration in our strategy, operations and work environment. Diversity is valued and Inclusion is reflected in all efforts to recruit, develop, and engage the diverse staff needed to accomplish our mission.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to Taliba Boone at email@example.com or call 202.403.5000.