Title: Senior Visual Designer
Location: New York City, New York
A fast-growing content marketing agency that combines journalism, data, and design to create content that resonates with audiences. We get results by engaging customers with content that matters instead of always trying to sell. We work with Fortune 500 clients, helping develop content programs from a handful of blog posts or videos to full-blown branded publications. This role is fully remote and Message Lab will accept applicants from across the U.S. Unfortunately, at this time we are not accepting candidates outside of the United States.
Message Lab is seeking a Senior Visual Designer to join our growing Creative Department. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator who values being part of a team. You’re comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, exercising your expertise on design principles, and proposing a variety of executions for the best way to tell a story. You care about the details, the pixels, hex codes, file formats, and the grid. You geek out over motion design, data viz, illustration and interactivity. Most importantly, you believe in the power of combining design with the written word to move people.
Your primary responsibility will be to find the best way to visually bring stories to life. You will be working with our creative team to ideate and execute concepts. These concepts could be in the form of animation, illustrations, data visualization, video, or photography.
The Senior Visual Designer will report to the Head of Creative, who is located in NYC. This position is 100% remote, but we’d prefer your home office be located within NYC for occasional in-person meetings and collaboration.
You Must Have…
- 5+ years of design experience (preferably agency or editorial) and a solid understanding of design principles and key tools.
- Experience in concept and design for storytelling
- Experience in branding, visual identity, and design systems
- A strong understanding of the web design process, from sitemaps to wireframes to full visual design, and an understanding of design systems
- An online or PDF portfolio submitted for consideration that shows forward-leaning design skills and a cutting-edge aesthetic.
- Strong conceptual thinking skills. Designers at Message Lab are a part of the initial creative process, not just responsible for executing teammates’ ideas.
- Strong ability to prepare, present, and defend creative concepts and work to clients.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills. You will work both autonomously and as part of a team and should excel at leading projects from start to finish both on your own and while working with other designers.
- Strong time management skills. Message Lab is a high-performing and dynamic environment; you should be adept at prioritizing multiple competing priorities and exercising good judgment regarding client deliverables and deadlines.
- Solid Technical Skills: You’ll need to demonstrate a high level of proficiency in Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Google Slides and a strong understanding of file types and optimization for the web (jpgs vs. svgs vs. pngs).
- You’ll get bonus points if you know Indesign, Sketch, Principle, or After Effects, or have expertise with data visualization.
What You Can Expect As A Member Of The Team:
- Group health benefits including medical, dental, vision, and paid time off
- A competitive salary commensurate with experience
- A benefits package including health care, paid vacation, and more
- A flexible work from home policy
- A growing team that’s motivated to create high quality, industry-leading work
- A fun environment that includes lots of laughing, outings, and camaraderie