Senior User Experience Designer
ANYWHERE IN THE US /
RESEARCH & DESIGN /
Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We use modern development practices to build software, streamline infrastructure, and train others through exposure to our teams. We have earned a reputation with our clients for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We extend these values to our strong relationships with contractors, partners, and employees because we believe this is fundamental to doing great work.
Truss was named one of the Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies for 2022. All Trussels enjoy full benefits, generous PTO, 401k match, a co-working budget, an employee effectiveness budget, and company-wide transparency around salaries and career leveling (view the Truss Leveling Guide). We have been a remote-first organization since our inception and are passionate about work-life balance, building diverse teams, and practicing radical candor.
As a user experience designer, you’ll work closely with senior designers and teammates to understand user needs, define the problem space(s), and determine which problems are the right ones to solve. You’ll conduct user research to gain a better understanding of needs and to design and test solutions, lead product and design discussions with the team, and ultimately collaborate with teammates to create experiences focused on user needs.
We are working to bring user-centered design to software development, and ultimately make our projects’ outcomes as effective and enjoyable as possible for stakeholders. Designers have the opportunity to play a major role in shaping this experience throughout every phase of a project. Our goal is to contribute thoughtful, collaborative work that embodies our organizational values while working shoulder to shoulder with our clients—with the group support of the other ~20 designers in Truss’s Design & Research practice.
A position with Truss will give you the opportunity to continuously enrich your skills, working in an energetic, yet balanced environment as part of a team of curious, helpful people.
This is a fully remote role and reports to the Director of Design & Research.
As a Senior User Experience Designer at Truss, you will be part of a cross-functional project team consisting of a minimum of one user experience designer, a product manager, and engineers, all working together to improve government services and do meaningful work in the private sector.
The Design & Research team is about 20 empathetic, user-centered, curious humans. We are known for pragmatism, expertise, openness, and curiosity. Our expertise ranges from content design to research to design systems to interaction design to systems design. We gather together once a week to share what we’ve learned (and challenges we’re encountering) on our respective projects, in addition to just spending time being human together.
The salary range for this position is $152,500 to $179,500.
THE SKILL SET
- Deep expertise developing research and human-centered design strategies with small or large teams
- Expertise resolving complex research and design problems
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work, cross-functional teams, and engaging with stakeholders
- Comfort engaging with stakeholders on client projects, including demonstrating the value of human-centered design and helping clients understand trade-offs between different design solutions
- Leading and developing research (remotely or in-person), and facilitating the synthesis of findings to drive next steps, including prioritizing and breaking down work (and helping others do the same)
- Interest in mentorship and helping teammates grow
- High level of skill for communicating clearly and listening thoughtfully
- A mindset of continued learning, including expanding your skills, and trying new tools and methods
Note: If you’re not sure if you have 100% of these skills, we still encourage you to apply if you think you might be a good fit.
Within 1 month you will…
Complete Truss’s Onboarding Guide
Complete onboarding to the Design & Research practice
Shadow 1-2 projects, meeting the team members and gaining an understanding of the key processes and deliverables related to your role
Within 3 months you will…
- Embed on one project, gaining domain knowledge of the team’s deliverables and key risks
- Lead strategic design discussions with the team
- Lead and develop research and testing to gain a better understanding of user needs and to test solutionsLead and develop design strategies such as concepts, wireframes, and prototypes to find, explore, and test innovative solutions to problems
- Design with accessibility and inclusivity in mind
- Develop an understanding of internal team and external stakeholder/client dynamics as needed
Within 6 months you will…
- Work independently on your project to move the team toward key deliverables, balancing rest and productivity
- Facilitate collaborative processes within your team and potentially with stakeholders
- Take the initiative to improve process and add clarity to areas of ambiguity on your project
- Regularly share insights and innovations from your project back to larger Design & Research practice
- Lead operational improvements within the Design & Research practice
You must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Truss employees must live and work within the continental U.S. or one of its territories.
Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Truss is a federal contractor and as such must adhere to executive order 14042 for the Covid Vaccination mandate regarding federal contractors. Upon employment, Truss will request proof of vaccination. If a medical or religious accommodation is needed, a discussion can be held with our People Operations department.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids, and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **