Title: Senior Software Engineer (React)
We are looking for Senior Software Engineers that know how to lead engineering initiatives and drive results – not mere activity. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build customer experiences: at Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love having a positive, material impact on your customers’ lives as much as we do, we want to hear from you.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity! (We’ve been remote friendly for years and that isn’t going away).
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position. We’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a perfect candidate. Everyone can grow at Varsity Tutors. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply. Apply now if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day!
In this position, you will
- Join a highly motivated & collaborative team of remote engineers, mentoring your junior and intermediate peers towards excellence.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and partners across teams and departments
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- Experience with React or similar UI frameworks (e.g. Vue, AngularJS)
- Experience with Go, Ruby & Node.js for backend / API development.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. EKS, RDS, Kinesis, EC2, Lambda, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree preferred
- Once in a lifetime opportunity to help revolutionize how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback rich culture
- Remote friendly
- Work-life balance
- Competitive salary plus equity in the company
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Flexible PTO plus a floating holiday (for your birthday!)
- Paid VTO (“Volunteer Time Off” to do community service/charity work)
- 52 hours of Free Learning Sessions per year for you or immediate families members and free access to our Virtual School Day classes and School@Home program
- Collaborative, and team-oriented work environment