Senior Software Engineer – Enterprise Search
Location: United States
Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.
Elastic is a search company with a simple goal: to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the creators of the Elastic Stack, we help thousands of organizations including Cisco, eBay, Grab, Goldman Sachs, ING, Microsoft, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and many more use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We have a distributed team of Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting), and our diverse open source community spans over 100 countries. Learn more at elastic.co.
As a senior engineer at Elastic on the Enterprise Search team, you’ll be working collaboratively in a distributed working environment delivering valuable features for the Elastic Enterprise Search solution, including the Elastic App Search and Workplace Search products. Enterprise Search lets users easily implement powerful, modern search engines and experiences for their websites, apps, or workplaces. Search it all, simply. We’re seeking a talented software engineer and communicator to help push the product and team to new heights.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will be building product enhancements for Enterprise Search, including the Workplace Search and App Search products, with contributions to Elasticsearch and Kibana.
- You will collaborate with and mentor international teammates in a mostly text-based, asynchronous, remote-first team environment with occasional video calls and yearly conferences. You’ll be hands-on with the team and codebase, reviewing work and providing constructive feedback.
- You will collaborate with the team on features, breaking them down into technical deliverables. You’ll act as an important and communicative part of an engaged and spirited team.
Our Team Style:
- We appreciate articulate and low ego people who want to grow as part of a team.
- We welcome diversity in all forms. We embrace strange and risky ideas and appreciate characters of all sorts.
- We hold each other accountable and work to a high standard. We take pride in the frequent, safe and graceful delivery of innovative and valuable features.
- We embrace open communication and challenge. We appreciate positivity and vigilance and strive for autonomy, trust, and personal and professional growth.
- Our backend stack is in Ruby, running on JRuby, with a tight coupling to Elasticsearch. Our frontend is in TypeScript & React, deployed in Kibana.
What You Will Bring:
- Experience building software using Ruby and TypeScript.
- Excellent practical judgment. You know how to prioritize, when to collaborate and ask for help, and when to be independent.
- Measured and articulate written and spoken communication skills. You work well with others and can craft concise and expressive thoughts into correspondence: issues, investigations, documentation and onboarding material.
- An interest in learning new tools, languages, workflows and philosophies that can help you grow. You can function well in an environment that drives towards change.
If this sounds interesting, we would love to hear from you! Please include whatever info you believe is relevant: resume, GitHub profile, code samples, blog posts and writing samples, links to personal projects, etc.
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.