Senior Product Designer (UI)
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 100+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
As a Senior Product Designer at Status you enter an industry-wide community of trailblazing designers and developers, building a new era for the web. A web where power is distributed and people own their own data. In this industry Status combines crypto and chat in a Web3 Discord’. You’ll contribute by making Status as delightful to use as it is private, secure, censorship-resistant and community-owned. You’ll work alongside product & design leads to identify design projects, turning their flows, functional requirements and high-level designs into visually appealing, enticing interaction experiences.
This role fits you well if you’re a craftsperson looking for an impactful and valued senior individual contributor role and are ready to take the plunge into Web3′. Prior experience working in crypto, blockchain, or Web3 is not required. This role does require a strong understanding of visual design and attention to detail.
- Collaborate closely with product & design leads to prioritize and scope design projects
- Deliver cross-platform (Mobile, Desktop, Web) UI designs of the highest visual design quality and consistency
- Work with design system leads to identify and introduce new components
- Work directly with UI engineers to handoff detailed specifications and review implementation alongside our QA team
- Build an understanding of system capabilities to anticipate error states, loading states and overall implementation effort
- Collaborate with UX research to improve communication and usability
- Have a strong eye for detail and design each pixel with love and attention for the bigger picture
- Be proactive and flexible; Weigh in to shape the team and your role
Ideally you will have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- 5+ years of experience in designing production-ready digital products
- A portfolio that demonstrates excellent visual design skills
- A strong UX mindset to fully understand the user and the product
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- A strong interest in Web3 / Blockchain / Decentralised technologies
- Fluent in English
- Adopt a modern design workflow (we primarily use Figma and Principle)
- Living in, or comfortable working in, UTC +3/-4
- A strong alignment to our principles: https://status.im/about/#our-principles
- Experience with GitHub, or a similar software versioning tool
- Experience with design for Web3 products
- Experience with motion design for micro-interactions
- Enthusiasm for Open-source and designing in public
- Avid NFT collector, DeFi user, and/or DAO member
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview 1 – Pedro (Portfolio review on visual design)
- Interview 2 – David (Portfolio review on component decisions)
- Interview 3 – Hester (Experience, Strengths, Ambition)
- PeopleOps screen
- Interview 4 – John (Values and strategy)
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline.
We are happy to pay salaries in either 100% fiat or any mix of fiat and/or crypto. For more information regarding benefits at Status: https://people-ops.status.im/tag/perks/
Please note that although we don’t have an urgent hiring need for this role, we’re always interested to hear from talented candidates that fit this profile. As such, we welcome applications on a rolling basis. Please kindly let us know in your application if your candidacy has any time sensitivity. We’ll be in touch if we think there’s potential for a good fit.