Title: Senior Engineer – Developer Experience
Location: United States
Elastic is a free and open search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real-time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
About the team
The Elastic Platform Developer Experience team’s primary focus is to enable Elastic Cloud developers to be productive and efficient, building tooling and automation in support of Elastic Cloud product development, quality assurance, developer workflows, and the production of healthy code.
About the role
We want to release software frequently; this group’s mantra is empowering engineers. To accomplish that, we are looking for an experienced software engineer to craft and implement a developer experience framework consisting of flexible environments and comprehensive tools for initial testing and development activities. You will promote the Cloud product by building next-generation development environments, helping maintain our existing packaging of thproduct and continuing to improve developer workflows. This role requires coordination across several engineering teams within Elastic.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will chip into a wide array of developer tooling such as build systems, code review systems, and development environments that affect both a SaaS platform and on-prem products.
- You will help us improve the daily workflow of engineers with automation and process enhancements as part of our next-generation developer experience.
- You will come up with improvements to our current processes and tools that support and simplify developer activities
- You will contribute to solutions that optimize compile times for developers
- You will be involved in making the delivery process more visible to all of our engineering teams.
- Collaborate with multiple teams in a joint effort to improve the development of Elastic Cloud products.
- Participate in code reviews for your team and other teams.
What You Bring Along:
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Software Developer.
- Previous experience with Jenkins CI, or other CI tools with a clear understanding of continuous integration pipelines as a whole.
- Experience operating a SaaS product in a public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure, or SoftLayer preferred).
- Familiarity with secrets management in a cloud environment and the impact on a delivery pipeline.
- Deep understanding of software engineering practices and delivery methodologies, including agile development, unit testing, code reviews, QA automation, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting delivery pipelines.
- Experience with IaC, automating components, and provisioning.
- Clear drive to build for speed and quality in development.
- Desire to automate with the understanding of SaaS delivery.
- Ability to communicate well with individuals and groups to accomplish a common set of goals.
- Have a strong desire for learning and growth.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience with building CI pipelines and developing custom build systems using Gradle. we use Kotlin, but Gradle, in general, is awesome).
- Experience with Terraform.
- Experience with Docker and knowledge of its ecosystem
- Experience with Kubernetes and knowledge of its ecosystem
- Familiarity with secrets management in a cloud environment and the impact to a delivery pipeline
- Experience supporting applications through the build and delivery process in Java and/or Go programming languages.
- Experience in QA Automation tools and frameworks
- Experience in transformational culture change
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please complete our Candidate Accessibility Request Form.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws, view posters linked below: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Poster; Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Poster; and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Poster.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.