Location: United States
- Status: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Location: Work From Home
- Union Position: No
- Salary Range: $26.58 to $46.02 / hour
Are you a strong writer with excellent editing and critical thinking skills? Are you looking for an opportunity that offers professional development and career growth? If so, UPMC has an exciting opportunity for a full-time remote Senior Editor to join our Proposal Development team! In this role, you will gain valuable experience writing and editing proposals. If this sounds like a great fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
The Senior Editor assumes final responsibility for the quality of all content delivered by the Proposal Development team across multiple lines of business (Health Plan, Workpartners, UPMC BMS, and Government Lines). Primary functions include editing, proofreading, reviewing, and rewriting documents and content that showcase the Health Plan’s products, services, and value propositions. This individual will support quality assurance within the Proposal Development team and provide constructive feedback to proposal managers/writers/project managers after reviewing documents and content for quality, accuracy, formatting, consistency, and adherence to compliance, style, branding, processes, and quality/performance standards. The ability to work efficiently under pressure and independent of direct daily supervision, simultaneously manage multiple reviews with competing deadlines, and work well in a team-oriented environment is critical to performing successfully in this role.
- Leadership: Serves as a back-up in the absence of team lead and completes other reasonable duties as instructed. Supports critical analyses with respect to quality assurance/proposal development processes and procedures; as well as ad hoc projects related to the department’s process improvements. Develops solutions to a variety of complex problems. Exerts some influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of the Proposal Development/Marketing department.
- Style Guide: Owns and updates Proposal Development/Marketing editorial style guide and ensure that it is consistent with division-level style guide by line of business. Stays abreast of changes in language, disclaimers, product names, hospital names/changes, and AP style guide changes and updates regularly in the guidebook. Delivers to Proposal Development/Marketing team on an as-needed basis.
- Training: Coaches and educates proposal managers/writers/project managers as needed on writing style, document literacy and branding, reducing time needed to catch and correct variations during the editing process. Provides feedback to proposal managers/writers/project managers/content managers, based on the above criteria for professional communications and discuss with them work they did that required extensive editing. Performs work that requires considerable judgment and initiative. Supports quality assurance/writing process-oriented workgroup sessions for Marketing team members on a monthly basis.
- Content oversight: Responsible for editorial management of document/content for all lines of business in UPMC Insurance Service Division. Helps to review, update and maintain content library. Enhances corporate image by ensuring the professional quality, clarity, and consistency of all content within content library. Helps articulate messages of content to audiences clearly and professionally, and in keeping with the Division’s branding and writing style as well as its health literacy policy.
- Quality control: Assumes final responsibility for the quality of all documents/content produced by the Proposal Development or Marketing departments. Reviews documents/content with regard to overall quality and corporate image; consistent use of ISD editorial standards and brand guidelines; professional presentation and style of copy; clear and concise prose; accuracy of statistics; accuracy and consistency of messages to stakeholders; appropriate tone for the audience and the message; adherence to Insurance Services Division health literacy guidelines; and meticulous attention to grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax. In addition, edits, proofreads, organizes, and rewrites content to meet document requirements, as well as to create concise, compelling, credible marketing narratives. Participates in all phases of document/content development to ensure consistent application of editorial standards. Monitor and improve the quality of written communications from subject matter experts (SMEs) before they are inserted into a document/content and before document/content is forwarded to business owner (Sales and/or Account Management) for approval, prior to delivery to the client and/or prospect. Incorporates client intelligence and competitive intelligence into documents as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, health sciences, insurance or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in proposal (RFP/RFI/RFQ) editing/writing, scientific/medical editing or writing, newspaper/magazine editing or writing, technical editing or writing, or a related field.
- Experience reviewing proposal content in response to federal, state, or commercial RFPs.
- Ability to effectively describe complex, technical solution details to lay audiences.
- Experience with full suite of Microsoft Office products.
- Proficiency in Qvidian, SmartDocs, or other RFP repository preferred.
- Background in insurance, healthcare or other professional services industry preferred.
- Technical skills: exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including excellent grasp of grammar, punctuation, syntax, and tone; exceptional editing, attention to detail and organizational skills; ability to effectively manage quick turnarounds and tight timelines; and ability, to simultaneously review multiple projects and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Experience working both collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment