Senior Director, Communications
Remote – USA : Communications
Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
As Bird’s Director of Communications, you will be responsible for developing and executing an exceptional communications strategy for internal and external communications. You will support various teams such as product, government partnerships, operations, people, and the executive team in advancing the organization’s communications and PR strategies while ensuring everything remains on track. The right candidate will be comfortable managing a team and working as an individual contributor on positioning and message development, media opportunities, and writing and editing. You will also serve as a connector for employees in the organization to better understand how their work contributes to Bird’s mission, vision and strategic initiatives.
- Implement forward-thinking messaging and communications plans to achieve Bird’s communications goals for audiences including riders, media, political decision-makers and other stakeholders
- Work closely with stakeholders across the company to distill information about key business initiatives, strategic planning initiatives, and business processes into clear, concise communications that provide the knowledge our organization needs to work efficiently and effectively
- Work in partnership with the Legal and Government Partnerships team with press strategies and outreach
- Contribute to Bird’s speaking and awards programming by identifying, recommending and securing speaking and award opportunities for Bird spokespeople
- Manage earned media development and creation, including drafting media outreach materials, editorial briefs, talking points, op-eds, speeches, presentations, etc.
- Collaborate effectively with internal end-users and cross-functional teams to solve problems, implement new communications solutions, and deliver successfully against high standards
- 10+ years experience in Comms, PR, Media Relations, etc. demonstrating development and leadership of integrated comms strategies
- 5+ years of leadership or supervisory experience required
- 5+ years of project management experience (supervisory experience preferred)
- The ability to generate and disseminate content across the globe that speaks to both consumers and regulators
- Strong relationships with preferred media outlets, including financial, business and technology press and mainstream print and television
- Precise, empathetic communication skills in both 1:1 and company-level settings
- Strong cross-functional relationships with product, operations and government relations teams in past roles
- A belief in the importance of providing access to sustainable forms of transportation
- Excellent communications skills and ability to speak in public
- Proven track-record displaying thought-leadership and influence
Culture at Bird
We’re an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.