BookNook is closing the early-learning gap for kids in grades K â€“ 8 through pairing dedicated tutors with proven technology to teach the reading and math skills kids need to succeed. School districts across 35 states entrust BookNook tutors and technology with the job of supporting their students who need it most. By providing a learning platform based on 30+ years of research and outcomes and offering high-frequency tutoring, BookNook propels schools to achieve academic results that are unparalleled in the industry.
At this time we are not able to provide sponsorship.
About the Role
As a Senior DevOps Engineer at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling, and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools.
BookNook has reached an inflection point – our user base is growing exponentially, and our engineering team is doubling in size year over year. As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will play a key role in driving engineering infrastructure and culture that emphasizes operational excellence and sustainable practices that can weather immense growth.
At BookNook, you will:
- Combine engineering experience and a process-driven mindset that drives you to improve existing systems and processes.
- Build systems to allow us to ship code faster and more reliably. We deploy code a few times a week with our existing CI/CD pipeline (CircleCI), but our goal is to achieve zero-downtime continuous delivery.
- Take responsibility for the availability and reliability of our critical platform services and applications.
- Design and own the critical success metrics for our app’s availability and reliability.
- Design and improve the tooling used for monitoring and alerting, and educate the engineering team on how to leverage them as part of the on-call rotation.
- Measure and improve app performance.
- Take an active role in improving the team’s security posture.
- Perform post-mortems and in-depth root cause analysis to ensure we are always improving.
What we’re looking for:
- An understanding of what it takes to design and run services at scale – and achieve the capabilities with infrastructure as code.
- Previous experience working on cloud based infrastructure, CI/CD systems, docker containers, all while leveraging an infrastructure as code solution. We host our services on Heroku, AWS and Google Cloud, and are looking for someone who would be interested in helping us iterate on a container-based infrastructure as we grow.
- Knowledge in at least one of the following: saltstack, chef, puppet, ansible or other mainstream deployment orchestration tool.
- Operational knowledge/experience in AWS and GCP.
- Experience scaling applications & capacity management.
- A fondness for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
Perks and Benefits:
- Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like in the US.
- Health insurance: We offer medical, dental, vision and pet insurance for all our team members.
- Time to recharge: We offer unlimited PTO, 12 paid holidays, and two company-wide weeks’ off.
- 401(k): With 3% company match.
- Employee stock purchase program.
- Retreat: Join us for our annual company get-together.
- Home office setup: Get a laptop + $100 monthly stipend for home expenses.
Join a company with a mission. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast, and has already helped tens of thousands of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We’re a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends, and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a tangible difference in the world every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BookNook embraces diversity and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.