Employer: US Foods
The Senior Data Scientist, is responsible for consistently providing high quality and insightful data driven solutions that address key business questions. This role supports Supply Chain operations and other members of the Insights and Analytics team as required to design and create datasets, reports, forecasts, and analytical tools by leveraging existing data sources. Will evaluate requests, determine data requirements, and identify innovative methods to provide effective data solutions that fulfill the needs of assigned business function. In addition, this role will also leverage their familiarity with cloud-based (AWS) technologies and capabilities to recommend optimal solutions.
This position is remote/virtual which means the work can be completed from anywhere in the United States EXCEPT Hawaii or United States Territories.
Analytics and Solution Development
- Lead collaboration and understanding of business problems with business partners.
- Develop solutions and tools to create sustainable programs and solutions for business partners.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on all assigned business function’s related data sources.
- Derives and codes new variables for use in data analysis and reports development.
- Integrates and standardizes data sets from multiple internal and external data sources.
- Prepares complex data sets for use in advanced analytics (in design and testing of statistical models and complex measurement).
- Creates Prescriptive and Predictive Analytical Solutions that align with business objectives.
Tools and Reports Development
- Executes complex data mining; oversees set up of data tables from multiple data sources
- Provide thought leadership in areas of tools and reports development. Create ad hoc and regular reports to meet business needs.
- Lead development of tools and reports for end users, including developing requirements, reviewing user stories, evaluating IT development progress, managing User Acceptance Testing, and training end users
- Serve as a â€˜Power User’ of custom and 3rd party applications, advanced querying and complex data aggregations and analyses not supported by a single application
- Collaborate with IT, consultants, and end users
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) of applicable tools, databases and systems
- Proactively validates results and identifies anomalies within the data. Conducts root cause analysis to understand cause of anomalies; identifies and implements solutions to overcome obstacles to data inaccuracy.
- Applies a strong understanding of data tables (including validity of values) and methodology, coupled with an expert understanding of the assigned business function’s business need in order to provide quick, accurate, and relevant data solutions to functional requests.
- Utilizes standard methodology in capturing data, documenting processes, labeling data, and formatting results to suit the needs of the business.
- Develops short-cut dashboards and other innovative reporting tools in a user friendly format, capable of presenting summarized data with drill down capabilities on an on-going basis.
- Interprets algorithms into code for automated use
Strategy, Process and Tools
- Identify and develop analytics to support and measure strategies for business partners.
- Influence and evangelize analytical methodologies to support business partners’ needs.
- Identify opportunities to standardize processes through analytics and tools
- Support integration of strategies, analytics, processes, and tools.
- Develop and refine core best practices to enhance the influence of Insights & Analytics across the organization.
- Serve as SME on processes and tools.
Available for occasional travel as business requires (less than 5% of time)
Direct supervision of up to 3 Data Scientists or Associate Data Scientists
- Reports directly to Sr. Manager of Data Science â€“ Supply Chain
- Works closely with:
- Assigned business function (e.g. Supply Chain organization in Rosemont, IL and Field; Supply Chain Business Analysis Team)
- Data Science Team
- Insights and Analytics Team
- Mentors Analysts at the direction of Direct Supervisor
- Interacts with:
- Senior management (SVPs, VPs, Directors)
- IT (Business Analysts)
Education / Training
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or comparable technology related field.
- 5+ years demonstrated successful experience in data science, data analysis, data solutions, or related business data analysis roles.
- Preferred: Experience in food distribution, retail, CPG, or companies with warehousing and transportation needs.
- Preferred: AWS Certifications.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Software Skills
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn, matplotlib/seaborn).
- Linux/Shell command line.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Data Science Skills
- Hypothesis Testing.
- Experiment Design.
- Statistical Inference.
- Linear Statistical Models.
- Constrained Optimization.
- Business Strategy and Analytics
- Excellent business acumen.
- Excellent data manipulation and analysis skills.
- Ability to think logically and analytically.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to take complex, ambiguous problems, break them down into smaller parts and problem solve to come up with a whole, integrated, and strategic solution.
- Creative problem solver.
- Exposure to statistical methodologies; well-versed in basic statistical approaches.
- Self-direction and Team Work
- High degree of motivation.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to build consensus and lead work streams.
- Highly organized with the ability to multitask and prioritize workloads.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly.
- Ability to influence change within complex organizations
- Ability to relate to others.
- Advanced knowledge of information visualization best practices and strategies.