Senior Data Scientist – Card Program Management
Marqeta is on a mission to change the way money moves. Our open API card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Square, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Uber, to issue cards, authorize transactions, and manage payment operations in real time. Founded in 2010, Marqeta IPO’d in 2021 and has grown into a team of over 700 Marqetans in the US, UK and Canada.
Reporting to the Director of Data Science, this role will be responsible for devising the metrics and performance tracking framework for the Card Program Management Organization. The Card Program Management team is made up of diverse, agile-thinking, and highly-skilled professionals; we use our combined capabilities to enable the organization with innovation, speed, agility, scalability and efficiency. Bringing an innovative, high tech, modern and inspiring approach that helps to align employees with Marqeta’s vision, fun culture and business strategy is essential.
Furthermore, you’ll be expected to partner cross-functional teams outside of our immediate organization and strategize how to best bring our metrics driven performance framework to life, while also supporting the needs of external partners in functions such as Compliance, Revenue, Legal, and Product. The successful candidate should also be able to help with light-weight process automation through scripts, and they must possess strong SQL skills. You will be looked to as the department-specific data lead, which will require a tight partnership with our central data and engineering teams, and you will ultimately help us improve our end-to-end processes to yield better customer experiences overall.
What you’ll do
- Build a comprehensive metrics driven framework to track product performance and operational efficiency
- Lead internal monthly and ad-hoc Run the Business meetings to track progress against Methods and Measures set for the team during our quarterly planning cycles
- Build automation through Python scripting or other methods to reduce or eliminate repetitive non-value added tasks
- Support ad-hoc complex analysis required to size potential issues or identify emerging trends that require leadership attention
- Proxying metrics where current methods are not suitable, and building a roadmap to implement data elements needed to track end-to-end business performance
- Build out the analytics function within the Card Program Management organization
- Lead internal planning and resourcing efforts across product and tech leaders for efficient, and data driven execution
What we’re looking for
- 2-5 Years of experience in payments, financial services and/or Fintech
- Expert-level SQL skills, including 5+ years experience working with large data sets
- Intermediate to advanced technical skills (e.g. Python, R, or other automation-focused languages)
- Proficiency with dashboard and/or business intelligence tools (e.g. Looker, Streamlit, etc.)
- Experience with Git, Snowflake, Airflow, and Salesforce a plus
- Foundation of integrity and strong character to consistently represent Marqeta’s values
- Self-starter who is a consummate team player and has demonstrated the ability to thrive in the face of ambiguity
- Ability to prioritize, manage and deliver on multiple projects; highly motivated and able to work in an agile environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and influencing skills with the ability to work with stakeholders across different functions and levels, both internally and with partners.
- Startup/high growth company experience with a proven track record of thriving in high-performing teams and fast-paced environments.
Compensation and Benefits
- Flexible time off take what you need
- Retirement savings program with company contribution
- Equity in a publicly-traded company and an Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Health insurance premiums paid 100% + coverage for dependents and pets
- Family-forming benefits, fertility support, and up to 20 weeks of Parental Leave
- Free therapy sessions, financial coaching, and legal advice
- Monthly stipend to support our remote work model (#LI-Remote)