Sora is seeking our first Product Designer to drive discovery, research, and ideation, as well as partner closely with engineering and product management to plan and execute on exciting new product experiences in Sora.
Sora’s mission is to empower people-focused teams to create exceptional employee experiences. These teams should be spending time with people, but unfortunately all facets of People teams are bogged down by managing processes instead of helping people. That’s where Sora comes in: we’re building a product that streamlines the tedious and repetitive work People teams do every day, from sending emails to assigning onboarding tasks to a new hire’s manager to syncing data across anywhere from 3 to 20 tools in a customer’s HR stack.
We’re a pure startup, with all the excitement that carries as a foundational member, but with more thoughtfulness than the typical early-stage company. We’re committed to our values and we take our mission seriously. Employee experience is in our DNA — we invest in processes that are inclusive and fair, and we invest in our long-term mental, physical, and emotional health.
Sora was founded in late 2018 and launched in 2020. We’ve fundraised from some of the best investors in the world and prioritize keeping a diverse group of investors and advisors.
Sora is committed to being a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
About the Team
We currently have no designers, so you’d be our first! Our product and engineering team is small and mighty, with a passion for helping People teams do their best work. We’re empathetic, scrappy, nimble, thoughtful and committed to excellence. We listen to our teammates — both within and outside of our org — when they raise ideas or concerns. We get to work with every single team at the company to ensure we’re prioritizing the right things for our customers and creating an amazing experience for Sora employees and customers’ employees alike.
We live all over the country but get together once a quarter for board games, surfing, cooking, Mario Kart, and more 🙂
About the Role
As Sora’s first Product Designer, you will be the founding member of our Design function and have a large role in shaping the core identity and experience of the platform. You’ll help us prioritize our product roadmap, iterate on our product process to involve early and frequent design input, direct all critical design projects, and craft a design culture.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Interview team members, customers, and other stakeholders
- Begin to regularly engage with customers to develop a thorough understanding of their needs and pain points
- Own the creation and maintenance of our design system in Figma
- Begin to own projects
- Partner with product and engineering to explore complex problem spaces and identify potential solutions through low-fidelity deliverables
- Create high-fidelity designs and specs to clearly communicate product design requirements
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Design exceptional end-to-end customer experiences based on qualitative and quantitative data to drive customer and business outcomes
- Direct all critical design projects
- Collaborate with other teams to identify opportunities for improvement in our product, and participate in product planning, prioritization, and roadmapping
- Balance multiple projects at one time, using strong communication skills to manage expectations appropriately
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has 3+ years of product, UX , or interaction design experience ideally for a B2B/SaaS company
- Embodies our values!
- Enjoys speaking with customers and listening to users to collect insights
- Is comfortable with some ambiguity, constantly evolving processes, etc. as the company scales
- Has effective written and verbal communication
- Is able to manage work autonomously
- Proactively seeks out and considers feedback gracefully in order to continuously integrate, improve, and iterate your work and skills
- Works in a U.S. timezone (we’re flexible on which hours you work!)
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
$140,250 – $204,250
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all roles based on function and level, benchmarked to the 75th percentile of the San Francisco market against similar stage growth companies. At Sora we’re working to build an equitable workplace, so we share salary ranges on all job postings. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including a candidate’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
- Comprehensive health coverage ($0 deductible PPO plans): Sora covers 99% of individual monthly premiums for all employees, and 50% of dependent monthly premiums.
- 401(k) with 3% direct company contribution: Sora deposits 3% of an employee’s annual salary into their 401k, regardless of whether the employee is making individual contributions or not (so, essentially this is free money!).
- Remote-first culture: A flexible work environment enabling our people to to do their best work.
- Unlimited paid time off: We highly encourage at least 4-6 weeks.
- $300/month Flexible Remote Work Stipend: These funds can be used towards a variety of remote work expenses.
- Commuter benefits: To use if you’re commuting to/from a co-working space.
- Parental leave: 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave to all parents (regardless of family formation) with the option to extend 1 additional month at reduced pay.
- In-person co-working weeks and retreats: 3 times a year we offer the opportunity for everyone to get together in-person in a different city in the US. Most recently, we brought folks to Austin for our annual retreat!
- Ginger or Headspace: Anyone enrolled in Sora’s health insurance should have access to a choice of either Ginger OR Headspace through Blue Shield.
- Maven: Anyone enrolled in Sora’s health insurance plans through Blue Shield should have access to Maven, an app that offers comprehensive care for everyone planning, starting, and raising a family.
- Monthly stipend for coffee chats: We keep you connected with your co-workers by facilitating random pairings and encouraging you to meet (remotely) for coffee, lunch, or donuts.
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and feel this role could be for you, we’d love to review your application! We promise we do take the time and care to review every application we receive. However, as much as we wish we could interview everyone who submits an application, we cannot guarantee an interview or feedback due to the volume of applications we are receiving today. We are rooting for you, and hope you do consider applying.
Note: You’ll need valid U.S. work authorization to join us.
Please note that a background check and employment verification will be required for this position. We may obtain one or more background screening reports about you, solely for employment purposes.