Product Design Manager, Manage
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Our handbook is public. You can find the details of our vision & direction, check out how we structure our R&D teams, and understand how our UX team operates.
As a Product Design Manager at GitLab, you will be responsible for managing a team of up to 5 talented Product Designers. Each of these Product Designers is embedded into a cross-functional product team within our Manage stage.
What you can expect in a Product Design Manager role at GitLab:
- You’ll advocate for good product design practices, ensure the visibility of product design across functions, create space for collaboration, and develop a deep level of subject matter expertise in the product areas your reports are operating in.
- You’ll work with your direct reports to build out a UX strategy for the Manage stage that aligns with our mission, vision, strategy.
- You’ll approach management in a way that is informed by our view on what is required of a Manager at GitLab. We default to asynchronous communication, so your management style will need to work in the context of our all-remote, global team.
- You’ll collaborate with our R&D Leadership team to manage OKRs for our product design practice. These OKRs will shape your team’s process, define your responsibilities as a manager, and feed into the responsibilities of your direct reports while enabling our company to meet its goals.
- You’ll play a key part in the evolution of our design culture and drive initiatives that enable Product Designers to achieve greater results.
- You’ll champion the importance of participation in critiques, content creation, and speaking engagements.
- You’ll foster a safe space for your team, where they’re comfortable sharing feedback and advocating for change they see as necessary.
- You’ll play a big part in hiring a team of world-class Product Designers. You’ll need to be highly engaged in the recruiting process as we scale our global team.
- You’ll work with cross-functional partners to identify and remedy pain points in our product development process, ensuring effective collaboration with our Product, Development, and Quality counterparts.
You should apply if:
- You’ve got, at minimum, a few years of experience managing Product or UX design teams of 4+ direct reports. Alternatively, you’re able to demonstrate leadership skills and experiences impacting design quality at a team level as a Product Designer.
- You have worked on complex web applications, enterprise software, or developer tooling.
- You’ve got hands-on experience working on product strategy and product design for a complex enterprise application or SaaS tool.
- Your knowledge, vision, and experience will enable you to play a key role in shaping the next evolution of developer tooling.
- You enjoy advocating for user research and usability testing, and you continually look to improve your team’s user research and usability testing abilities.
- You want to manage a team that is designing a complex product with cross-functional users and continually evolving needs.
- The idea of playing a key part in the evolution of our Pajamas Design System is truly exciting to you.
- You understand frontend code, Git, and the limitations of frontend technology. You can demonstrate this through your hands-on coding skills with HTML/CSS/JS, command-line Git, or by showing us you have a deep understanding of the needs of engineers you’ve worked with previously.
- You’re comfortable with design reviews and occasionally being hands-on with design tools such as Figma.
- Mentoring, leading, and growing your team is truly motivating to you.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You’ll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service are encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
What it’s like to work at GitLab:
The culture at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. You’ll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and are encouraged to put family and friends first with our paid time off policy that doesn’t count the number of days you take off annually.
You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. We’ll also help you set up your home office environment, pay for your membership to a co-working space, and, every year or so, we’ll invite you to our Contribute event.