We want you to help us take WordPress, Tumblr, Woo, and Simplenote for iOS and Android to the next level. We are the team in charge of the development and maintenance of the infrastructure required to reliably release and test all the mobile applications developed by Automattic. We work closely with multi-functional product teams to improve the user experience on phones and tablets — both the apps and their underlying APIs and systems.
This role might be a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about releasing software reliably and on schedule so that your teammates can focus on building great apps.
- Love collaborating in code reviews and discussions about architecture or design.
- Have experience with mobile development for iOS and/or Android.
- Are motivated to help your teammates become more productive.
- Are passionate about refining tooling for faster builds, a reliable CI, and automated code reviews.
- Have extensive experience with build systems for both Android and iOS.
- Love fast and reliable apps and you have a passion for making them even more performant.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability – experience with XCUI / Espresso, performance testing, unit testing, and device farms is a plus.
- PHP, REST API, and WordPress backend programming experience.
- Familiar with Electron app development, or packaging and distribution.
- Experience with React Native development.
- Open source contributions.
- You’re involved in open source or other communities.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Mobile Engineers – Thuy, Elisa and Aaron!
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations up front about what to expect from our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.