Title: Learning Experience Designer III
Job Requisition ID: 17867
Additional Locations: Fully remote; work may be performed from any State in the US.
HMH is a learning technology company committed to delivering connected solutions that engage learners, empower educators, and improve student outcomes. As a leading provider of K12 core curriculum, supplemental and intervention solutions, and professional learning services, HMH partners with educators and school districts to uncover solutions that unlock students’ potential and extend teachers’ capabilities. HMH serves more than 50 million students and 4 million educators in 150 countries.
What you’ll do:
The Learning Experience Designer (LXD) III leverages and applies relevant teaching and learning experiences in developing digital-first solutions that solve specific market problems shared by teachers and students. The person is expected to participate in developing various solutions as part of a collaborative scrum team and should be comfortable offering opinions and willing to think innovatively about potential solutions. Using agile methodologies, the person in this role will exhibit problem-solving prowess, effective collaboration, and prioritization skills to deliver incremental value to users.
Working in Math Core Solutions, the LXD III has experience teaching mathematics as well as experience in building mathematics-related curriculum products. The LXD III will be responsible for the following primary duties:
Expectations related to User Experience & Instructional Design
- Help define and influence the end-to-end user journey for all digital experiences on HMH’s teaching and learning platform
- Deliver value to customers in keeping with capacity constraints, budget, and market expectations, often arriving at and advocating for fresh, innovative solutions that surprise and delight users
- Demonstrate an ability to leverage and apply expertise in many areas: mathematics discipline-specific knowledge, assessment, social emotional learning (SEL), Culturally Responsive Education, hands-on learning, differentiation, standards analysis, data analytics, English learner support, etc.
- Seek out and apply data from a variety of sources, including HMH’s teaching and learning platform, to address market problems.
- Work flexibly across grade levels, K-5/6-12, to create and adapt content and metadata for a digital first experience
Expectations related to Agile Development
- Serve as a developer on a cross-functional team responsible for solving teaching and learning problems. Rely on discovery and data analysis to test, develop, deliver, and iteratively optimize solutions in a variety of media formats.
- Understand, apply, and model agile story-pointing and ceremonies in such a way as to ensure work is completed on time and is of high quality. As developer, actively participate in retrospectives to identify and offer solutions to problems.
Expectations related to People
- Take responsibility to seek out opportunities for deepening own knowledge and expertise in market environment, pedagogical and content issues, and process improvements.
- Mentor members of the team in a way that grows strengths across all team members.
Definition of Success
- Iterative deliveries of solutions that meet market problem needs on time and within budget as measured by product sales, customer testimonials, and platform usage data.
- Successful state, district, and third-party evaluations that reflect the high quality and usability of teaching and learning solutions.
- Meeting needs intuitively with little active support/guidance from more senior members of the team as measured by team surveys/retrospectives and other means of team feedback.
What you’ll need:
- 5+ years teaching mathematics
- Experience in developing mathematics programs or curricula
- BA required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Comfort working in a variety of digital authoring tools and content management systems
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Subject matter content expertise and/or instructional design expertise; digital development and delivery a plus
- Ability to engage in data analysis, visualization, and interpretation
Preferred but not necessary:
- MA in a relevant field of study
- Experience with project management software such as Smartsheet and Jira
- Experience working within a Scrum framework
Benefits and Salary Range
Salary Range – $64,000 to $80,000