Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Lead Technical Project Manager for the San Antonio Home Office, Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Tampa, Plano or 100% Remote Work from home environment.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds â€“ collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results. The actual days’ onsite are resolved between each employee and the employee’s manager. . This position may also be in a 100% remote work environment.
The candidate selected for this position is going to work with the Product Management Teams in USAA’s Contact Center Technology organization. They will oversee execution for the new Enterprise Member Service Representative (MSR) desktop platform and/or Enterprise Employee Experience Products.
Defines and leads a multitude of technical projects, within the IT organization, of high complexity, size, confidentiality and enterprise-level visibility to achieve strategic business/technical goals and operational objectives. Serves as the primary resource for cross-functional (internal and external entities) team members on escalated issues of a unique technical nature. Coaches’ others on managing risk by using established project management processes to address execution challenges associated with quality, schedule and cost and executes remediation plan. Drives creative alternatives to project challenges; partners with others to drive adoption, and challenges standards. Collaborates with key stakeholders and work efforts teams to ensure objectives are met.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn’t technical, it’s human. Here, we don’t just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We’re proud of USAA’s strong history — and we’re even more passionate about our future. That’s why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we’re continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you’ll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Leads, plans, directs and coordinates activities for highly complex work efforts that may include SDLC standards, to accomplish goals and objectives within prescribed timeframes and budgets.
- Provides alternate views and solutions to onboard senior management to accomplish project goals.
- Mentors, trains and coaches technical project managers.
- Anticipates and recommends improvements to advance project management methods and practices.
- Oversees and ensures development of project plans related to schedule, budget, scope and resources.
- Monitors project execution to deliver incremental value.
- Manages and executes multiple technical projects or epics (and supporting work) deliverables to control scope.
- Identifies and mitigates project or epic (and supporting work) technical risk and operational impact.
- Ensures completion of and adherence projects and project plans to achieve strategic business goals and operational objectives Influences sequencing and scheduling of work within project.
- Manages interdependencies of work within a project.
- Establishes overall project cadence for communication with impacted stakeholders, and provides framework for underlying project(s) communication plans.
- Ensures sound technical architecture is incorporated, working with technical architects.
- Adheres to governance rigor and EPMO processes, procedures, controls, standards, tools and templates (as required).
- Understands each project’s critical path activities and contributes to risk management efforts on the project and consistently seeks creative technical alternatives to project challenges, advises project managers.
- Actively applies a variety of product capabilities to the benefit of the project sponsors, and senior managers on all aspects of the project.
- Partners with others to drive adoption and challenge standards.
- Engages in identifying and removing obstacles and impediments to ensure team objectives are met.
- Actively identifies and applies best practices and needed process improvements.
- Partners with business to clearly articulate technical requirements and acceptance criteria of project.
- Understands each project’s critical path activities and proactively manages those to project’s benefit.
- Manages ambiguity and consistently seeks to drive clarity among project stakeholders, provides support to junior technical project managers.
- Leads subject matter experts to resolve project challenges.
- Manages project budgets on the full range of projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of experience managing or leading projects or serving in a project management type role to include technology management or product-forward role (product manager, engineering manager, program manager).
- Expert knowledge of project management methodology and/or expert knowledge of multiple technical software delivery life cycles.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing and directing one or more business lines, products and processes as it relates to the technical management, delivery and execution of projects.
- Expert knowledge of applicable laws and regulation and ensures application to projects.
- Expert knowledge of project methodologies (Agile and Waterfall) and recommends appropriate methodology for execution.
- Extensive experience on project management and execution experience delivering complex work efforts working with Waterfall and Agile methodologies.
- Expert use of tools and techniques that includes SDLC knowledge, technical acumen and software delivery methods.
- Advanced experience with planning tools, software and processes to guide work effort plans and deliverables.
- Ability to articulate high level context of IT projects and influence stakeholders.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- 7 or more years of experience in core platform modernization
- 5 or years of experience in Integration and Dependency Management (both upstream & downstream)
- 5 or more years of experience in managing complex transformational programs
- 3 or more years of experience with writing Business Cases and calculating ROI
- Experience with SAFe
- Certifications with either PMP or SAFe
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $106,800 to $192,300.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.