Lead HighJump Developer
Job Category: IT
Quality Bicycle Products (Q), a certified B-Corporation, is in the business of bikes! From creating a portfolio of our own award-winning brands to distributing the top names and best products in the industry, we’re working to further bike-kind. With distribution centers in Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Colorado, and Taiwan, Q serves a network of more than 5,000 independent retailers and 450+ suppliers worldwide. We strive to be an extraordinary business for our partners and employees. Q has been a values-driven company since its inception in 1981 with making the world a better place at the center of those values. We believe that our actions as individuals and as a company make a difference and we work every day to improve the sustainability and health of our industry and our communities.
At the heart of our success are our employees, who create extraordinary results every day. With that understanding, we endeavor to make Q a fulfilling and rewarding workplace. Our work community is passionate about pushing creative boundaries, sparking innovation in the industry, and living healthy lifestyles. In addition to a fast-paced and dynamic culture, Q provides great perks for employees, including commuting incentives, fitness and wellness programs, flexible schedules, product discounts and more.
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
The DC Systems Development Supervisor is responsible for leading a small and focused team of DC Systems software developers as direct reports. Blending both supervisory and software development responsibilities, this role will represent their team during planning, implementation, releases, and support. This role will work regularly with other leadership to accomplish and release work at the right time. Must collaborate with other members of the DC Systems team, (Product Managers, Quality Assurance, System Administrators, and Developers). They will also work closely with other members of IT and leaders of the Distribution Centers to ensure that the supply chain solution is leveraged to its fullest extent. This role will need to be ready to collaborate across all Quality Bicycle Products (Q) technology systems, contribute to the DC Systems leadership team, and perform software development tasks up to 50% of the time.
This is role is open to hybrid/remote candidates and can be based anywhere in the U.S. except Montana, New York, New Jersey and Washington, DC.
Software design, development, and collaboration [45%]
- Design, code, debug, unit test, document, and support applications (new and legacy)
- Collaborate on technical implementation, assist other developers, and consult in implementation and development
- Participate in frequent review of other developer’s technical work (peer code reviews)
- Occasionally perform requirements gathering to clarify what is being asked and define it for further development
Be the primary advocate for the SDLC within the DC Systems team [30%]
- Ensure requirements and deadlines are met
- Work with the Technical Product Manager to ensure quality user stories are in tickets
- Lead work-estimation exercises
- Available to lead scrum ceremonies (e.g. stand-ups, sprint planning, sprint review(demos), retrospectives, roadmap meetings. The team may adjust these and other ceremonies as appropriate, and leadership could rotate, be delegated, etc.
- Schedule/coordinate code deployments
- Work with Application Manager and other supervisors to coordinate work
- Participate in IT leadership meetings
Oversight of Application Developer team productivity, deliverables, and professional development [20%]
- Conduct regular one on ones
- Through retrospectives and coaching, advocate for continuous improvement for the team, specifically in the areas of predictable velocity and estimation accuracy
- Write and deliver midyear and end of year performance evaluations
- Deliver and receive feedback professionally
- Identify opportunities to grow the individual and collective skills of the team, which may include mentoring activities for individual developers
Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned. [5%]
- Represents essential duties.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent work experience
- MSSQL development experience
- Experience with Distribution Center software
- Must be familiar with Configuration Management activities to deploy application and manage development.
- HighJump Systems development experience required
- Expertise with development tools and environments including HighJump Architect, MSSQL Studio, T-SQL Stored Procedures, and web tools as well as source and version control products is required to fix production issues and develop new features for the Distribution Centers.
- Understands software security practices, including user authentication and authorization, data validation, and an understanding of common DOS and SQL injection techniques
- Experience in user requirements gathering, user story creation, and project estimation
- Excellent communication skills used to provide clarity of direction to the development team as well as to explain DC Systems technical perspectives and the status of projects to a variety of stakeholders
- Experience working in Agile development culture
- Collaborative ability to understand other perspectives and ideas
- Experience in promoting and enforcing software development best practices
- Experience (formally/informally) in leading software development teams in lead role
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and support staff through those changes
- Ability to quickly diagnose and fix production issues with technologies including:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- HighJump Warehouse Management System
- ConnectShip Shipping solution
- Microsoft IIS
- In house applications based on JAVA
- SAP ERP
OTHER RELATED CRITERIA
- Physical Requirements
Ability to perform work on a computer extensively.
- Working Hours
Ability to participate in occasional after hours and/or weekend support