Title: Lead Data Engineer
Andela exists to connect brilliance and opportunity. Since 2014, we have been dedicated to breaking down global barriers and accelerating the future of work for both technologists and organizations around the world.
For technologists, Andela offers competitive long term career opportunities with leading organizations, access to a global community of professionals, and education opportunities with leading technology providers.
For companies, Andela provides access to a global network of fully integrated team members that unlock their business’ innovation and growth potential.
At Andela, we are deeply passionate about creating long-lasting and transformative growth opportunities for all and doing it in an E.P.I.C. [andela.com/careers] way.
We are excited to continue building our remote first team with incredible people like you!
About the role:
The Lead Data Engineer role will work closely with data, engineering, and product leadership to deliver best-in-class data platforms and data solutions to further Andela’s product strategy. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience developing complex data solutions at scale, using SaaS and PaaS frameworks in a cloud environment. As an engineering lead, the candidate will take ownership of feature work to create innovative solutions for category-defining data platforms, by leading and mentoring other specialists on the team in finding solutions and adhering to engineering discipline and rigor.
- Understand Andela’s platform, value proposition, and roadmap by working with Data Engineering leadership.
- Take ownership of sprint work to help create innovative solutions for a category-defining platform
- Lead the scrum team’s efforts during sprints, and mentor engineers on problem-solving and software engineering fields, through mechanisms including joint design, test-driven development, code reviews, and continuous delivery.
- Work with data engineering leadership to define software architecture and processes for Andela’s data platform, in the specific areas of data platform technical architecture, MLOps pipeline frameworks, and end-to-end orchestration of data life cycles for batch and streaming modalities
- Own the excitement of entropy! Our platform, products, and offerings are constantly changing and rapidly growing. We encourage and enable each individual at Andela to drive a commercial idea when they identify one, which builds a constantly evolving data landscape.
- 10+ years of experience working in data-intensive environments and platforms, building data solutions in a hands-on manner. At least 2+ years of experience should be in a lead role, leading and mentoring engineering team members in pods to tackle technically complicated problems, in an agile and collaborative team environment.
- Extensive level of experience working with modern SaaS and PaaS solutions in the cloud on modern data processing frameworks, including at least two of Apache Spark, Hive, BigQuery, and Snowflake, using languages including Scala, Python, and SQL.
- High level of experience in ETL content data at big data scale and in batch and streaming modalities, for building data lakes in the lake house pattern, including the processing of unstructured, semi-structured, and structured data, MDM enrichments, and sophisticated business logic.
- High level of experience working in cloud platforms AWS, Azure, GCP (GCP is a plus).
- High level of experience in data modeling, data structure & algorithms, and data platform architecture.
- High level of experience with data orchestration frameworks, including at least one of Airflow, Dagster, AWS Step Functions, Azure LogicApps, Apache Nifi.
- Experience in MLOps, as well as supporting operationalization of data science models and pipelines, including Pytorch, Spark.ML, Tensorflow, MLFlow, and other popular frameworks.
- Experience applying standard best practice software engineering practices, including TDD, CI/CD, IaC.
- Fully Remote work culture.
- A fair and competitive salary.
- Bring your own device stipend – buy your own laptop with funds from Andela.
- Quarterly work-from-home stipends.
- Generous paid time off.
- Additional paid holidays.
- Flexible working hours.
- Health insurance (country-specific).
- 401k (US only).
- Andela Affinity Groups.
- And more!
- Fully Remote work culture – we hire globally and all of our roles are fully remote!
- Bring your own device stipend – buy your own laptop with funds from Andela
- Quarterly work from home stipends
- Flexible working hours
- Equity (as a part of compensation package)
- Healthcare, 401k / pension (US only)
- Andela Affinity Groups
- Growth & development paths
- Generous Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, Compassionate Leave
- And more to come! We’re on a journey to reimagine global benefits at Andela
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lie in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.