Title: Lead Character TD
Location: United States, Remote
Summary: Responsible for the design, implementation and management of the technical animation and rigging pipeline. Lead a team of Character TDs to meet project goals. Coordinate and participate in the entire in-game character creation process – concept>modeling>rig>animation>implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Manages in-game character rigs and mocap; including creation, performance, improvements, and schedules
- Manages cinematic mocap pipeline and inter-department coordination, including the process for creating data and getting data into the game
- Manages the facial rig pipeline, including vendor rig specification, evaluation and feedback, and internal rig creation
- Manages, designs, and develops, the animation pipeline and production process for the department based on project and companywide goals, needs and requirements
- Works with Core on improving engine and tools features to advance the state of the art of in-game and cinematic character performances
- Coordinates with Character, Animation Leads and Project Management on the delivery of assets to the Animation Department
- Schedule and assign rigging tasks
- Works with Art Department on modeling and texturing practices to facilitate the set-up process and to advance the visual fidelity of the character performances
- Liaises with Project Management team for animation project (technical) issues and schedules and IT for animation support
- Manages the development industry-leading systems, tools, R+D initiatives, and workflows for character rigging, animation and physics simulations.
- Maintains an advisory role to QA support team in relation to character rig and animation testing environments
- Maintain an expert understanding of the latest improvements in Maya, Motionbuilder and Moven and stay informed on the latest in animation, rigging, and game production techniques from various media related sources
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises a team of Character TDs on a project. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Eight to ten years related work experience in character setup, python scripting and all technical aspects of Maya animation. A strong understanding of animation principals is also required.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Skills: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills: Extensive knowledge of Maya tools and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Expert knowledge of MEL and Python scripting as it applies to character setup and animation. Basic knowledge of DOS.
Other Skills: The ability to articulate thoughts and ideas effectively both verbally and in writing. This position may be required to help evaluate new technical tools, and make suggestions in either the implementation or practical uses of said tools. Possess an understanding of animation techniques for the purpose of proactive problem solving and trouble shooting. Maintains an understanding of skeletons, facial animation methodologies, constraints and other Maya tools and systems used for character animation. The ability to lead a small team of Character TDs.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.