Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they’ve operated for decades because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- The intelligence is provided by reinforcement learning algorithms, which convert raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind’s AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google’s Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
As a Junior Solutions Researcher, you’ll play a critical role in understanding and assessing chemical use cases within Phaidra.
- You will work closely with the Solutions Architect Team and the AI Research Team to help condense and describe new potential chemical use cases.
This role can be broken down into five concrete areas of responsibility:
- Researching and understanding potential new use cases and expanding our understanding of existing use cases.
- Condensing these use cases into reusable, scalable components within the Phaidra architecture.
- Clearly documenting each use case in concise terms.
- Interviewing subject matter experts to further our understanding of each use case.
- Assisting Solutions Architects in applying our technology to different use cases.
- Ability to do deep research into different industries and industrial processes.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- A good understanding of chemistry and chemical processes such as:
- fluid dynamics
- heat and mass transfer
- separation technologies
- reactor engineering
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Understanding of Control Theory.
- Ability to read and analyze process flow diagrams, piping and instrument diagrams (P&ID) for understanding process and control dynamics.
- Experience with AI and ML.
- Experience with statistics, analytics, etc.
- Experience with domain relevant optimization problems and solutions.
- Experience with Python programming.
- Familiarity with markup languages like Xml, Json, or Yaml.
- Familiarity with the following applications:
- Google Suite
- Google Colab
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a fully-remote company – work anywhere, anytime.
- Competitive compensation & early equity.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical/dental/vision insurance (offerings based on region). We cover 100% of the premium for employees and 50% of the premium for dependents.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- MacBook and home office setup stipend.
Base Salary Range
- USA residents: $49,100 – $60,700 USD
- Canada residents: $55,300 – $71,600 CAD
- This role will also include equity.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers – like Gitlab – for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. We are deliberate about documenting and living our values – of which accessibility, transparency, and agility are key. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and Video Chat. We meet daily and have dedicated all-hands meetings to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events – and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We will have in-person All-Hands meetings once a year as travel opens back up.