Title: iOS Accessibility Design Technologist
Location: New York, NY; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Mountain View, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Chicago, IL; Austin, TX; United States – Remote
DoorDash is building the world’s most reliable on-demand, logistics engine for delivery! We’re looking for experienced engineers to help us develop a 24×7, global infrastructure system that powers DoorDash’s three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
About the Accessibility Team
Our mission is to empower our employees in order to build an accessible experience for all our customers. We aim to achieve this by inculcating compassion and empathy among them with Accessibility, Inclusion and Universal Design in mind. This aligns with and supports Doordash’s mission to empower local economies by reaching to all consumers, dashers and Merchants with or without disabilities. Accessibility team helps support every product that we build for our Customers, Dashers, and Merchant through providing frameworks/libraries/automation that our engineers use to increase accessibility, ensure that our Design System and guidance pushes our accessibility forward, and that we build impactful accessibility related features in our products.
About the role
We’re looking for an IOS Accessibility Engineer lead for all of our IOS related accessibility efforts to help create the infrastructure and product changes necessary to create accessible, inclusive products for Merchants, Dashers and Consumers.. You’ll lead the mobile accessibility efforts by defining and building the tools, guidance, and product changes .You will also be an advocate of design/technical craftsmanship across our design and engineering organizations that enables us to build for everyone.
You will report to the Head of Global Accessibility in our Design Infrastructure team in our Product Design organization. This role is 100% flexible, and can be either hybrid in office, or fully remote.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will be working on
- Drive accessibility awareness across multiple teams by conducting trainings around accessible development
- Ensure accessibility health of experiences in the product by helping teams incorporate accessibility automation in their frameworks and also remediating accessibility issues across the application.
- Promote a shift left mindset by core involvement in driving existing and new features for the design system team. This should ensure accessibility among all reusable components before consumption by teams to build a robust product.
- Work with third party vendors and help build company wide Mobile Accessibility standards and checklists apart from automation.
- Partner with UX researchers to conduct interviews with and include people with disabilities as a part of the diverse research pool.
- Have a solid understanding of prioritization and help team leaders/ product managers prioritize accessibility issues/ customer asks
- Innovate and find opportunities to use latest technologies like Machine Learning to solve complex issues, example – adding image alt description using ML frameworks.
- Contribute to open/Inner source projects and encourage other engineers in the process to solve accessibility issues across the board while inculcating an accessible development mindset, with example.
- Gain solid understanding of the Mobile engineering stack and provide a11y guidance for all teams working on accessibility for 3 groups, namely- consumers, dashers and merchants.
- Drive Accessibility office hours for Mobile Accessibility related questions.
- Represent DoorDash Mobile Accessibility at external conferences such as CSUN, Axe-con, Web4All etc.
We’re excited about you because you have .
- Previous experience with accessibility and inclusive design is required
- Expertise in IOS UI development (we use SwiftUI, Combine, SPM, previews, and even async await)
- Excellent cross-functional and communication skills
- Experience in writing code with Accessibility first mindset.
- Passion to help everyone build accessible UIs
- Work with Mobile designers to build designs that’s inclusive, universal and easy to use for people with disabilities.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and implement latest technologies.
- Be an Owner and have deep customer empathy.
- Leadership along with a win together mindset and comfortable with a high level of autonomy.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We’re committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.