As a member of the Technical Shared Service Infrastructure Operations team, the Infrastructure Operations Engineer I is responsible for the administration, installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting of Kaplan IT systems. This includes the implementation and design of hardware and software. This engineer will be primarily responsible for data center infrastructure located in; Fort Lauderdale, FL, and Chicago, IL, as well as a number of smaller on-prem locations
- Evaluate, plan, install, maintain, and troubleshoot mission-critical (co-located and internal) data center systems including hardware, OS, database, clustering, and established third-party applications.
- Administer Storage Area Network systems and backups
- Document proposed solutions and plan for monitoring and maintaining platforms in a lights out data center environment.
- Administer enterprise class hybrid cloud platforms using VMware and Cloud solutions such as Azure and AWS technologies.
- Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages.
- Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Automate routine processes and tasks using scripting techniques.
- Ensures server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
- Develops and promotes standard operating procedures.
- Adheres to established change management processes and participates in Change Advisory Board activities.
- Conducts routine hardware and software audits of servers to develop and maintain a comprehensive configuration documentation database/library.
- Coordinate data center facility (power, AC, fire suppression systems, etc) activity with the facilities team.
- Coordinate the procurement, receiving, and installation of hardware.
- Solve high level and complex infrastructure problems.
- Design and orchestrate infrastructure projects such as installations, upgrades, patches, migrations, and implementations.
- Maintain the on-site data center infrastructure located at Kaplan s facilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 5+ yrs of systems engineering experience
- Excellent knowledge of system administration/operations, practices and procedures
- Substantive knowledge in Microsoft Windows and Linux administration, Storage Area Network (SAN), and VMware virtualization technologies across data centers
- Extensive knowledge in MS Active Directory, IIS, DHCP, and DNS
- Knowledgeable with SQL Server, failover clustering
- Experience with scripting (VBScript, PowerShell) a plus
- Experience with enterprise implementation of AWS or Microsoft Azure a plus
- Knowledgeable with VLAN / WLAN
- Experience documenting systems and processes
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Must be able to work evenings/weekends as needed (including rotating on-call)
- Must be able to perform typical data center physical activity including lifting and installing equipment, running cabling, etc.
- Familiarity with SOX compliance and backup policies and protocols
- Strong proficiency with NetApp
- Past experience in VM migration across data centers or to Cloud
- Experience with Dell EqualLogic
- Experience with HP Servers G7-G10 and HP Modular Smart Arrays
- Experience with Cloudberry / Unitrends Backup
- VMware Certified Professional – Data Center Virtualization