Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, Downdetector, and many other connectivity tools, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, over 15 million tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a highly capable engineer to join our Platform engineering team. You will be responsible for building, maintaining and operating the infrastructure platform on which all Ookla services are built.
In this role, you will build, maintain, and support a massive scale dynamic infrastructure supporting hundreds of millions of users around the world. You will obsess over systems performance, reliability, observability, and security. Most importantly, you will help deliver critical application functionality and help make the internet experience better for our users.
You will be responsible for:
- Maintaining a distributed, global ecosystem of thousands of cloud instances, containerized workflows, serverless applications, Linux servers, and associated infrastructure supporting billions of requests daily
- Maintaining transactional database infrastructure using MySQL, PostgreSQL, and managed services such as RDS/Aurora
- Supporting production systems in a 24x7x365 environment, including on-call responsibilities
- Providing architectural and operational support to software engineers in a wide variety of focus areas
- Support software and data engineering teams and guiding operational best practices
- Implementation and oversight of security program including vulnerability remediation, patch management, IDS/IPS, penetration testing, and interfacing with our corporate InfoSec team
- Supporting the dev to production code deploy pipeline for a range of production applications
- 4+ Years Systems/Platform engineering experience
- Experience building globally-distributed systems
- Strong understanding of security best practices
- Infrastructure as Code: Terraform, Cloudformation
- Branching and Merge based Source Code Configuration Management: Git, Github
- Configuration management systems such as Chef or Ansible
- Container based architectures including Docker, Kubernetes
- Proficiency in one or more high level programming languages such as Typescript, Go, Python, PHP, Ruby, Java, etc.
- Experience with AWS and other Cloud infrastructure platforms
- Comfort writing SQL queries and analyzing query performance
- Comfortable learning and working with new technologies in an ever-changing environment
- Strong communication skills both in person and via virtual mediums
- Strong time management skills and a self driven work ethic
People come first at Ookla. We offer competitive compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks. Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.
- This is a remote/office based position which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.