Group Product Manager, Manage
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
We’re looking for a Group Manager, Product that can help us work on the future of developer tools. You will play a key role in defining our product strategy for our Manage stage which includes Authentication, Compliance, Workspace, Optimize, and Import. There are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab. It’ll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe deploying and monitoring your code should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open. We recommend looking at our company page and the product handbook to get started.
As the Group Manager, Product, you will be responsible for managing and building a team that focuses on GitLab’s Manage stage product categories. This role will lead the Manage Product Managers and reports to the Director, Product Management – Dev
- Make sure you have a great product team (recruit and hire, sense of progress, promote proactively, identify underperformance)
- Work on the vision with the Director of Product, VP of Product, and CEO; and communicate this vision internally and externally
- Distill the overall vision into a compelling roadmap
- Make sure the vision advances in every release and communicate this
- Communicate our vision though demo’s, conference speaking, blogging, and interviews
- Work closely with Product Marketing, Sales, Engineering, etc.
- Ensure that the next milestone contains the most relevant items to customers, users, and us
- Work with customers, users, and other teams to make feature proposals enticing, actionable, and small
- Make sure the DevOps tools are up to date
- Keep relevant /direction pages up to date as our high level roadmap
- Regularly join customer and partner visits that spawn ideas for new features
- Ensure that we translate user demands to features that make them happy but keep the product UI clean and the codebase maintainable
- Make sure the release announcements are attractive and cover everything
- Prioritize, build, and assess business cases for new or existing opportunities in your group that have no investment.
- Be present on social media (hacker news, twitter, stack overflow, mailinglist), especially around releases
- Experience managing others (note, first time managers may have some individual contributor responsibilities including PM responsibility for one of the stage’s groups)
- Previous experience in product management, preferably at a Senior level
- Experience hiring teams in high growth companies
- Experience in DevOps
- Experience with solutions from the product category or DevOps stage you will be responsible for
- Technical background or clear understanding of developer products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes, and Project Management software a plus
- Additional requirements are outlined in the Product Management Career Development Framework
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values