Employer: Sony Interactive Entertainment
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We’re looking for a gameplay programmer who excels at designing and implementing character behavior, controls, and camera for 3rd-person AAA action games. This person will partner with the Game Director to craft an extraordinary player experience for projects like Marvel’s Wolverine — the quintessential Logan! If this is the role you have been looking for, please read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Designs and implements core combat and traversal systems for 3rd-person, character-based games
- Drives the development of innovative player mechanics.
- Works closely with content creators on feature implementation, providing technical, creative, and scheduling feedback; expand and adapt designs to meet project goals
- Builds and improves proprietary tools to expose gameplay features and systems to content creators.
- Solicits feedback from content creators on how to streamline workflow and improve efficiency.
- Provides time estimates to leads and management; keeps co-workers up-to-date on progress of programming work as well as non-programming prerequisites for feature implementation
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- Two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, (desired) and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Strong 3D math skills, including but not limited to practical knowledge of vectors and vector operations, matrices and matrix transformations, and the various different representations of rotations (Euler, angle-axis, quaternion).
- The basics of intersection testing and collision are a plus.
- Proficient with an application programming language (C and C++)
- Ability to adhere to the prevalent coding style and practices, including source control standards.
- Understanding of procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms.
- Familiarity with commercial content creation packages.
- Familiarity with component-based programming paradigms.
- Dedication towards individual and team growth.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative environment.
- Ability to drive the creation of fun and innovative gameplay.
- Must be flexible with schedule changes and shifting timetables.
- Needs to be able to work independently and efficiently when required.Â Ability to multitask several time-intensive tasks at once.