Financial Analyst, Customer Behavior Analytics
Job ID: 2242889 | Amazon.com Services LLC
Customer Behavior Analytics (CBA) Finance seeks a Financial Analyst to support across our data science product portfolio. This team member will get to work on projects as diverse as; re-designing our Weblab A/B testing tool reporting, helping quantify the financial impact of latency regressions on Amazon’s webpages, and being involved in the implementation of our primary composite profit measure, GCCP, to understand the return on Amazon’s marketing investments. This new role is key to our success as we continue to develop and upgrade our leading data science and analytics models, incorporating support for new areas of Amazon’s worldwide business.
CBA Finance is part of the Consumer Engagement Finance team. CBA Finance partners with the CBA business team, which is responsible for generating Downstream Impact metrics (DSI), customer understanding and insights, Customer Targeting applications, Weblab A/B testing, and Marketing Attribution. Products that CBA develop are built from the ground up, and utilize cutting edge technologies that fuse Big Data with concepts from Machine Learning, Economics and other fields like Data Science. These innovations help make strategic investment decisions and define the customer engagement metrics by which Amazon runs its business globally. This role will influence the teams that engage with products and decision making that make customer messaging more personal.
The Financial Analyst will partner with the CBA, business, and tech teams, providing financial guidance and controllership for the use and development of CBA tools across Amazon, with particular focus on our Experimentation tools and GCCP. They will have a passion for learning about complex econometric models and communicating to a non-technical audience in a crisp manner. The successful candidate will possess potent communication and influencing skills, and have a passion for using data to drive business decisions. We are looking for a self-starter that attacks complex business problems with curiosity and dives deep to identify root causes. This individual thrives by providing data-driven decision support and business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable to senior leaders across various Amazon business.
Key job responsibilities
You see your primary role as being a conduit between data science teams and the consumers of the data and decisions produced by our Experimentation models. You will also contribute to wider GCCP Finance support.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Working with the Customer Targeting science team. You will be responsible for providing finance support to the Customer Targeting team and their models, as well as facilitating education/training across Consumer teams to help customers interpret their results.
- As we expand the number of business applications of GCCP (our primary composite profit measure), or when we launch GCCP for new marketplaces, you will collaborate with the GCCP and partner teams to define business requirements and pre/post launch plans to ensure consuming teams have the necessary information for transition.
- Where GCCP launches in new business applications / marketplaces, you will also facilitate education/training across Marketing (variable & cross-channel) and Consumer teams to help customers understand the incremental value of marketing.
- As we continue to develop our work on the impact of website latency, you will collaborate with the Latency business analysts to develop and implement new reporting, providing feedback to the business team on behalf of customers, and sharing insights gained to improve the impact and controllership value of reporting.
- You will provide education on CBA experiments and tools, as well as training in our customer facing reporting and dashboards as new team members onboard.
- You will work on activities to support the wider GCCP mandate, partnering with the Finance Manager lead of GCCP Finance, including the periodic updating of key data inputs, and bridging the impact of these changes for our customer teams.
- You will give back to the wider Consumer Engagement Finance community though work on one of a number of projects (e.g. building accurate, scaleable headcount reporting, or owning the construction of new headline reporting KPIs).
A day in the life
Example activities from a typical day in this role would include:
- Discussing validation techniques with the Customer Targeting data science team, and how we can quantify the Financial benefits that result from decisions made using their data tools. Taking the knowledge from this conversation into proposing a new funding model for the Customer Targeting team.
- Speaking to senior Finance stakeholders in Australia (for example) on upcoming changes to GCCP methodology / Attribution model changes.
- Supporting the CBA team on a non-core S-Team or C-Team goal around (e.g.) the financial impact of Latency.
- Going deep into the potential impact to Amazon automated marketing bidding levels from upcoming changes to GCCP driven by recent observed changes in customer behavior.
- Going for lunch with your CE Finance team mates, and discussing which local sushi place is better.
- Helping the Weblab team refine their new reporting dashboard with the feedback you have received from global partners.
- Coaching new hires in the CE Finance team on GCCP fundamentals using the Amazon wide wiki you have built over the last three months.
- A 1:2:1 with the Senior Program Manager in charge of Latency to update on progress on new reporting.
- Spending time working on MLA attribution dashboard table definitions to ensure descriptions and easily readable and catered to a broad audience (as opposed to more scientific definitions).
- Joining a LiFT (Learning in Finance Together) peer learning event for Finance Analysts, focused on improving your coaching skills.
About the team
The Customer Behavior Analytics (CBA) organization owns Amazon’s insights pipeline, from data collection to deep analytics. We aspire to be the place where Amazon teams come for answers, a trusted source for data and insights that empower our systems and business leaders to make better decisions. Our products answer who did what, where and when it was done, and how key metrics were impacted. Our outputs shape Amazon product and marketing teams’ decisions and thus how Amazon customers see, use, and value their experience.
The CBA Finance team work as part of the CBA team. We quantify the impact of CBA insights to Amazon’s financials, support and engage worldwide Finance leadership in utilizing CBA outputs, and much, much more.
- 3+ years of experience in finance or a related analytical field.
- BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Business, Economics, or a highly analytical field (e.g., Engineering, Math, and Computer Science)
- MBA or Master’s degree in Finance, Business, Economics, Math or related field
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of SQL / Python / R is desirable
- Proven ability to build trust and influence decision making through effective verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical, financial modelling and reporting skills and a passion for complex problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and self-motivate in a fast paced and rapidly-changing environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
Worldwide Consumer Finance
Finance and Global Business Services