Experiential Designer, Permanent Exhibits (Pittsburgh or Remote)
Deeplocal is seeking a multidisciplinary designer with a passion for designing physical objects, environments, and interactive installations to join our growing creative team in Pittsburgh, PA.
This candidate will ideally have an interest in a combination of strategy and design. They will work with a team of other designers, strategists and creatives to conduct research, lead workshops, identify personas, create user journeys and develop a holistic narrative vision for a space.
When it comes to design, the Experiential Designer leads aesthetic and human-centered design choices on physical interactive projects from concept to delivery. The ideal candidate for this position cares deeply about design qualitywhether it’s the high-level vision or an intricate detail. They’re comfortable communicating design decisions to brand clients and to internal team members articulately and respectfully.
Candidates for this role must have a portfolio that demonstrates strong strategic thinking as well as physical and visual design skillsincluding the ability to visualize ideas through beautiful sketches and/or renderings. While we’re looking for a design generalist, we expect that most candidates who apply will hold degrees in industrial design, architecture, environmental design, interaction design, interactive art, or a hybrid discipline.
Experiential Designers report to the Creative Director, Permanent Exhibits and are part of Deeplocal’s permanent installation business unit. This position will work with the brightest minds in the creative engineering field, including full time roboticists, and electrical, mechanical, and software engineers (many of whom are a hybrid of the aforementioned). Additionally, they’ll have access to Deeplocal’s full fabrication facility on the first floor of the company’s Pittsburgh headquarters, where the team prototypes and builds every interactive experience they dream up.
- Physical + Interaction Design – design spatial interactions, environments, and physical objects (from early sketches to fleshed out visual models to detailed interaction design)
- Creative Ideation – respond to creative briefs with innovative ideas that intelligently use design and technology; own the experience design perspective
- Pitch Development – work on lean creative teams to communicate concepts through visuals and words that are on-trend, on-brand, and visually-stunning
- Persona and User Journey Development – conduct secondary research, develop personas, create user journeys and think about how people move about around a space
- Visual Design – direct aesthetic design choices, such as form factor, color, and materials, with mood boards and/or other visual references
- Problem Solving – feel a sense of ownership over the success of interactive experience projects; be a relied-upon team member; be capable of general problem solving when challenges arise
- Design Vision – guide the project through production, ensuring that the design and storytelling vision remains consistent and on brand.
- Time Management – handle multiple projects simultaneously, keeping track of deadlines and self-directing your workload / priorities
Deeplocal’s COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Based upon its strong commitment to the health, wellbeing and safety of its employees and their families, its clients, and the communities where it lives and works, Deeplocal has instituted a COVID-19 vaccine mandate and other COVID-19 related protocols, subject to any and all applicable state or local laws. Of course, our policies, procedures, and protocols are subject to change as conditions evolve. If an employment offer is made to you, you will be given a full opportunity to advise us if at that time you believe that you need to be excused from any specific requirements (including a vaccine mandate, if in place at that time) and Deeplocal will interact with you to fully understand, evaluate, and respond to any request for an accommodation, in strict accordance with all applicable laws.
Deeplocal is a quickly growing, internationally-recognized, innovation studio based in Pittsburgh, PA. Deeplocal’s team of 60+ includes experts in marketing, engineering, design, and fabrication who collaborate to develop never-seen-before physical experiences for brand clients.
From creating a mind-controlled bike that allowed riders to shift with their thoughts, to building a robotic pitching machine that allowed a child to throw out the first pitch at a baseball game from thousands of miles away, to a single button that dims the lights, orders food, silencers your phone and puts on your favorite show, to a machine that graffitied tweets on the roads of the Tour de France, our projects are wide-ranging and unique.
Deeplocal has been behind some of advertising’s most talked about campaigns: the Netflix Switch, Google Photos Pay With A Photo, Google Fiber Nick’s First Pitch, and the Nike Chalkbot. Deeplocal’s current clients include Google, Nike, and Nest.
Deeplocal’s studio is located in a renovated brewery loft space in Sharpsburg, PAjust outside of Pittsburgh and within a few minutes of Lawrenceville. All team members at Deeplocal contribute and participate in work for our amazing roster of clients.
Deeplocal has been named one of the Best Places to Work in Western Pennsylvania for the past four years and has received numerous awards in advertising and design. Deeplocal’s work has been featured on Fast Company, Wired, NYTimes, USA Today, the Today Show, Good Morning America, Gizmodo, Engadget, Forbes, and many more.
Invent products and experiences for innovative brands.
To be a place where amazing talent can invent, create and inspire.
Our Core Values
Deeplocal is committed to maintaining the company’s core values and culture as the company grows. Employees should exhibit the following Deeplocal core values:
- Competitive and comprehensive health care coverage
- Flexible retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid vacation time and winter break
- Profit sharing
- Flexible working style, including work from home
- Family and pet friendly policies, including best-in-industry parental leave
- Fitness and public transportation subsidies
- Community service flex time