Employer: Vox Media
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
About the Engineering Team
- As part of the larger Product, Design and Technology organization, the engineering team builds the products and systems that power Vox Media, including the Chorus publishing platform and the Concert advertising network.
- We value cross-functional collaboration, creativity, efficiency and the ability to learn from and teach those around you.
- We strive to foster a culture built on kindness, empathy and respect for our teammates and the millions of people who see and use our products every month.
What you’ll do:
- Coach engineers on their day-to-day work and their career aspirations, conducting regular 1:1s for your reports, and evaluating their performance quarterly
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, product manager and designers.
- Effectively support a distributed team through virtual and in-person collaboration and culture initiatives.
- Contribute to the recruitment, hiring and training of new team-members while fostering an inclusive environment.
- Shape the direction of our tech stack to ensure performant, ethical and scalable advertising technology in a rapidly-shifting media landscape.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience managing or mentoring technical teams and guiding them to success.
- Empathy, respect and thoughtfulness for your teammates and direct reports.
- Proven ability to create and support a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Ability to proactively communicate and engage your team across multiple mediums (slack, video calls, email and code reviews).
- Experience working in a matrixed product organization, closely-coupled with designers and product managers.
- A comprehensive understanding of back-end development
- Experience with distributed systems, using standard AWS infrastructure services, such as ECS, Lambda, SNS, and Cloudwatch, or their equivalent in other cloud service providers.
- Great documentation skills.
- Experience with React, Vue, Angular, or Next a plus.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees. All employees in our offices are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an approved religious or medical exemption. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, including submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and wearing a face covering in our offices.