Engineering Manager (SEO)
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
NerdWallet is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of talented engineers that build and maintain consumer facing experiences with a focus on maximum SEO impact. Our best-in-class SEO program is one of the most competitive in the nation for helping consumers bring clarity to life’s financial topics. We believe that creating superior user experiences is critical to the continued competitiveness of our SEO program. Successful candidates will have a proven track record of building and mentoring high-end engineering teams, and are excited to build world-class, high scale products.
If you were here 6 months ago, here are some things you might have worked on:
- Launch of Reviewer and Author pages to influence Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trustworthiness across all of NerdWallet.
- Contributed to operationalizing CWV monitoring across top NerdWallet pages
- Ideate on impactful ways to support cross functional teams on SEO best practices and strategies.
Where you can make an impact:
- Lead a team of talented engineers and collaborate closely with a product and design partner to deliver technology solutions that drive results today and in the future
- You will be responsible for the technical execution of your team, ensuring we are finding the right solution at the right time to drive value to the business while balancing the technical health of your systems
- Manage engineers career paths and performance
- Manage development cycle for multiple software projects concurrently
- Coordinate and guide architecture decisions. Role model in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability
- Maintain and improve operational excellence (monitoring, SLAs, post-mortems, etc.)
- Consumer focused SEO is consumer-first and so is our team
- Enthusiastic about technology and its application to business results
- A hands on leader: You are an effective people manager that enjoys collaborating and mentoring a team of talented engineers.
- Communicative and collaborative: You are able to work effectively with others. You will be working closely with developers and product groups to build features and high quality scalable products.
- High-energy, company first, positive attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment.
- Pragmatic. You assess the situation and understand when we may be under-engineering or over-engineering for the given situation
- Organized and understand agile project management philosophies such as WIP, critical path, iterating, shrinking cycle times, and getting value from an MVP delivery early.
- Excited to help consumers with their financial decisions and future!
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- At least two years of managing engineering teams
- Experience recruiting, mentoring, and developing engineers
- Experience delivering software at scale
- Past coding experience on consumer focused teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you’re remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self – we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.