Title: Engineering Manager, Platform (Lending)
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
We are a moderately sized engineering organization supporting the credit cards business unit and its high-growth plans. We are looking for a highly ambitious Engineering Manager to join the Credit Cards Engineering team to partner with, and be an active part of, our leadership on the technical direction of our Performance Marketing, Organic, and Lending Platform engineering teams.
If you are motivated by the opportunity to deliver value, in a fast paced environment while guiding a high energy team to deliver world class customer experiences, this is the role for you. Successful candidates will be able to share their experience building and mentoring accomplished engineering teams, being hands-on in code, helping guide architecture discussions, promoting extreme ownership of systems and outcomes, developing technical leaders, and empowering and up-leveling engineers.
We are an agile team practicing Sprints and indexing on continuous improvement and delivery. As an Engineering Manager we will look to you to help bring up the quality of our deliveries and help to engage the team in leading the quality and outcomes of their work.
Over the next 6 months, here are some things you might work on:
- Delivering high business impact changes to the cards shopping experience
- Implementing and refining observability of our systems
- Migrating our remaining codebase to NextJS
- Sunsetting more of our old code and cleaning up our ecosystem to drive continued increases in focus and velocity
- Implementing modern CI/CD pipelines with the team
- Continuing to turbocharge our hyper growth culture and business with ideas from you as well as from the empowered and engaged engineering team you captain
Where you can make an impact:
- Manage and strengthen a team of 6+ remote and local engineers. We expect our engineering managers to provide space for our engineers to grow and develop while balancing their own interactions and contributions to the team
- Work closely with a product manager to prioritize high business impact projects and ensure that we complete them quickly and to a reliable and supportable standard
- Have ownership over the technical execution of your team, ensuring we are finding the right solution at the right time to drive value to the business while balancing the technical health of your systems
- Collaborate closely with engineering leadership, as well as principal and staff engineers on our engineering roadmap
- Own the technical roadmap for your systems in conjunction with engineering leadership’s guidance
- Consumer focused. Energized to help consumers with their financial decisions and future!
- Not afraid to fail. Biased to action, you learn from mistakes, incorporate them into how we think in the future, and iterate. We take informed risks and chances, they often work, sometimes they don’t.
- Aware that fast and quality are not mutually exclusive. We can deliver high quality, well engineered code fast. You do not cut quality first to meet timelines, you often thoughtfully solve for both.
- Interested in being a mentor and a teacher to make those around you better. No one is perfect. You believe that together we are more than the sum of our parts and expect others to help you grow and learn too.
- Capable of having business discussions with your partners, discussing trade offs, and speaking in a way about technology that non-technical partners can understand and value.
- Communicative and collaborative. You are able to work effectively with teammates across development, product, and design to build product features and high quality products.
- Organized and understand agile project management philosophies such as WIP, critical path, iterating, shrinking cycle times, and getting value from an MVP delivery early.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 8+ years of experience within the software engineering industry including 1+ years managing engineers and 2+ years serving as a technical lead
- Experience engaging in knowledgable discussions about systems architecture, data flows, and data structures
- Experience working on a consumer facing website
- Experience in scrum and sprint processes
- Solid skills in React, Node and Postgres is preferred
- Experience in other SPA frameworks, backend technologies and RDBMS is acceptable so long as you can demonstrate your expertise in that technology and are open to learning React, Node, and Postgres