Title: Director of Enterprise Architecture
Location: Remote – USA
HubSpot’s Business Technology (BizTech) team is passionate about helping the business be ready for ever greater scale, before it’s needed. From 2016 to 2021, revenue grew by more than 4.5X to $1.3 billion. When you’re growing that quickly the only constants are change and new scaling challenges.
BizTech is HubSpot’s internal business systems team. We make HubSpot operate better. While we primarily do this with creative implementations of best-in-class SaaS tools, we often find that their out-of-the-box capabilities aren’t as good as our vision. In this day and age, we firmly believe that managing and scaling business systems is a technical discipline.
We are looking for a senior leader who can help us grow the next 5-10X by building the industry’s best business systems team. Every company is different, so here’s what this means to us.
As an internal business systems team, many of the initiatives we work on could be called business process engineering projects. In short, we need to design a new way of doing something. Those projects often involve a combination of 3rd party SaaS (some platform, some point solution), iPaaS (primarily Workato), and analytics tools. In the future that might expand to PaaS and other tools.
As we build new systems and processes, it’s important to have a strong vision for our corporate systems architecture and strong guardrails for how we build. But note that we’re not the only ones building. HubSpot has a number of ops/systems teams that sit in the business. We want this role to drive a company wide strategy and company wide guardrails for how we build internal systems. And we want this role to be a terrific leader for BizTech’s growing team of technical employees who are helping the business scale.
Our successful senior leaders have these things in common: they develop strategic partnerships with their peers across the business; they behave like owners, taking full responsibility for their domain; translate their vision into achievable employee experience and scaling goals; they coach strong leaders; and they build diverse and inclusive teams.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Partner with leaders across the business, from BizTech’s senior stakeholders to peers leading functional systems teams
- Define and build alignment around our internal systems strategy
- This would include approaches to things such as architecture, integrations, automation, guardrails for new SaaS apps we buy, monitoring and testing, and more
- Partner with other systems and operations leaders to ensure we’re solving the most important problems
- Shape the next chapter of BizTech’s evolution into a technical team that’s great at engineering large, end-to-end business processes
- Build a team of process/systems engineers, analytics engineers, systems analysts, and more
- Review our current tooling, processes, and impact and figure out how each of these things need to scale
- Work on solving scaling challenges across HubSpot’s business
- Focus on long term agility and velocity; as much as we want to run HubSpot well in 2022, we need to set ourselves up for success in 2025 and beyond
- Empower the team to succeed by:
- Overcommunicating our mission and vision
- Overcommunicating expectations and what success looks like
- Coaching and developing our people
- Framing problems in the right light
- Cultivating a psychologically safe and inclusive team culture
- Partner with the Business Technology leadership team to steer our work and maximize our impact on HubSpot
We’re looking for people who have:
- Strong, demonstrable experience leading systems/technical teams through the phases of growth we’re getting ready to face (from ~6,000 to ~20,000+ employees)
- Operationalized a strategy and guardrails for large scale systems environments
- Aligned with senior leaders to drive company wide technical strategies
- Deep and broad subject matter expertise across various facets of Business Technology / Process Engineering / Product Development / Data & Analytics. In particular:
- Experience operating at the leading edge of the industry and harnessing new technologies for tangible benefits.
- Experience managing data & analytics operations.
- Excelled at maintaining strategic business partnerships with peers and executive stakeholders
- Coached team members to become successful leaders
- A deep understanding of how to create a team culture that balances urgency with high quality and sustainable work
- Confidence delivering clear, direct and actionable feedback and won’t shy away from confronting difficult situations
- And, a high level of comfort receiving direct and actionable feedback
- Already invested in their own development to become an inclusive leader and team member