Title: Director, Identity
Location: Remote – US
Director, Software Engineering – Identity
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to join the Platform and Enterprise organization.
Millions of developers of open source and enterprise software rely on GitHub to build, ship, and maintain their software. These developers rely on us to provide identity access management to ensure the authentication and authorization pipeline, the protocols, the policies that give the tools to work collaboratively and securely.
If the world is building software through GitHub then Identity is how they collaborate and work.
We will provide the ability to build the teams, apps and policies to ensure your project on GitHub works the way you expect. The reward is to have an unrivaled impact on the universe of creativity that is software development.
This role will be involved in the design and support of GitHub’s identity system with your team and product partners. Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you do as well.
- Help ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship, pairing, and delegating work
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse high performance team of managers and engineers
- Communicate and reinforce vision and culture to aligning teams towards impactful work
- Cultivate an environment across the company where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Work with the team to develop, communicate, and track progress against long term plans
- Drive defining organizational vision & objectives with leaders across Product, Design, and Engineering
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Think creatively while balancing technical constraints and customer needs to enable your team to build architecturally consistent, high quality software to reliably meet customer needs and exceed their expectations
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in a manager on-call rotation, and respond to incidents as necessary
- Drive data driven improvements to both product quality and engineering efficiency across your organization
- 5+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services
- 2+ years of experience managing through managers
- 8+ years of experience developing web applications or large scale systems.
- Experience in the identity space (OAuth, SAML, Tokens, Security, SCIM)
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience with hiring & building teams
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Experience with maintaining production systems including: monitoring, observability and diagnosing problems
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- Experience in Go, Ruby is a plus.
- Experience with MySQL, MSSQL or other general database knowledge
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a distributed software team is a plus
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $250, 600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together as individuals and in teams to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness