Gremlin’s mission is to make the Internet more reliable. We’re leading the way in the exciting, growing practice of Chaos Engineering, for enterprises like Target, Twilio and JP Morgan Chase that are building complex, distributed SaaS applications whose success depends on uptime. The Gremlin platform uncovers risks and weaknesses that aren’t addressed by traditional DevOps and IT operations processes and best practices. If paving a new path forward at the leading edge of technology sounds exciting to you, we should talk.
About the Role of the DevOps Engineer
As a DevOps Engineer, you will do Everything from optimizing Docker containers and Kubernetes, to making our deployment faster and more reliable, to improving and extending the tools we use everyday. You’ll be finding all of the things that can be automated and doing it so that we can scale our small team and outperform the competition.
In this role you’ll get to:
- Support and extend existing automated Continuous Improvement (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) pipelines for cloud-based digital applications.
- Guide the organization towards self-service DevOps model with aspiration for fully automated, zero downtime deployments.
- Contribute and enhance the implementation of a cloud-based development environment.
- Engage with development and quality assurance teams to adopt and continuously improve best practices for software delivery.
- Participate in the development, evaluation and recommendation of tools, processes, and best practices to improve quality, consistency, and velocity of solution delivery.
- Implement and support automation and scripting with Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Configure and maintain software development tools spanning source control, continuous integration/delivery, testing, code review, etc.
- Provide consultation and training on CI/CD tooling and processes to development to the organization.
Key Skills and Attributes
*If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.*
- 4+ years of DevOps experience
- Kubernetes / Docker knowledge (certification a plus)
- Splunk / Grafana / Prometheus or Similar
- Experience with a modern CI/CD pipeline
- Experience with Hashicorp Terraform and Ansible
Our founders, Kolton Andrus and Matthew Fornaciari, lived and breathed incidents, on-call, and Chaos Engineering at Amazon and Netflix. As Call Leaders they were responsible for guiding teams through analyzing and resolving global outages. After a decade of developing and advocating Chaos Engineering internally, in 2016 they decided to make what they had learned available to a wider set of enterprise companies and launched Gremlin.
Since then, Gremlin has built an incredible team of industry veterans and people eager to learn from one another while pushing the entire industry forward to new heights. We’re backed by top-tier investors Index Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Redpoint Ventures. Our customers love us, and we’re thrilled to be a partner in their success.
At Gremlin we value:
- OUR CUSTOMERSÂ – We won’t be a company if our customers aren’t thrilled. We live and die by our customers, so they come first.
- ACTIONÂ – We favor small experiments to gather data rather than over analyzing a situation. Getting stuff done always beats talking about getting stuff done.
- CONTEXT, NOT CONTROLÂ – We hire autonomous adults with good judgement. We provide them with the context to make smart decisions. We don’t micromanage.
- BEING VOCALLY SELF-CRITICALÂ – We all make mistakes, we all have ways in which we can improve. We own that up front, and honestly discuss ways in which we’ve personally made mistakes and can get better. Then, we encourage and help one another succeed at doing so.
- DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSIONÂ – We are at our best when we encourage and include the thoughts and voices of people from many diverse backgrounds into our strategy and execution. We recognize that systemic racism and gender bias are real and that we aren’t perfect, so we actively work to encourage the difficult conversations, to listen, and to change as we discover our blind spots so that Gremlin is a company all of us feel proud to be a part of.
- FRUGALITYÂ – We are working to build a profitable company and create a new practice in the industry. We spend money on the right things, like making sure employees have the tools they need to be successful and the company has what it needs; we simply choose not to waste what we have and not to buy what we don’t actually need.