Data Scientist, Growth (Remote)
UNITED STATES / CANADA /
DATA AND ANALYTICS /
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We are looking for a data scientist who will bring and develop a deep understanding of user growth, user segmentation, paid marketing optimization, and LTV predictions to help us accelerate the growth of our subscription business and make our best-in-class product even better. In this role, you will work closely with our data, product, marketing, and engineering teams to develop advanced models that help us understand our business, optimize and automate our workflows, and help our product make smarter, more informed recommendations. As a member of our small data science team, your work will have a significant impact on our business strategy and how our subscribers use our product.
- Design, build, and implement mathematical models to drive key long-term business goals, including subscriber retention and offer revenue.
- Train machine learning and data mining algorithms to solve problems across several teams.
- Lead projects with hands-on analysis and modeling, drawing from multiple analytical methods to choose the right tool and right level of complexity appropriate for the job.
- Use quantitative analysis to deeply understand what marketing and user data are saying, and to develop recommendations based on that analysis.
- Design and develop data science pipelines in production.
- Guide complex experiments.
- Cultivate an outstanding analytics environment.
- Evangelize and expand the impact of data science.
- 2-3 years of experience as a data scientist with a proven ability to apply scientific methods to solve real-world problems on web scale data.
- Strong working knowledge of a scripting language like R or Python.
- Fluency in SQL.
- Knowledge of statistical principles and how they apply to predictive modeling.
- Ability to drive projects with minimal guidance and prioritize high-impact work.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to build cross-functional relationships.
- Can explain sophisticated concepts to diverse audiences and craft compelling stories.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem.
- Familiarity with Apache Airflow or other data workflow scheduling platforms.
- Prior experience working with web-based subscription user data.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.