Character Concept Artist
United States – Remote/Flexible
Crystal Dynamics is constantly seeking the best gaming talent worldwide to add to our 30-plus year legacy of AAAA game development creating new and iconic franchises. We are committed to making great games with great people and having an awesome time living the dream while doing it.
Benefits for our full-time positions include, but are not limited to, a competitive regional salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, professional development reimbursement perk, flexible hybrid on-site/off-site work opportunities, 12 company paid holidays, additional 10 paid days in December when the studio is closed for holiday break, and the ability to accrue weeks of personal paid time-off.
Join us and shape the future of an amazing studio culture committed to creating award-winning franchises like Tomb Raider, Marvel’s Avengers, the next Perfect Dark, and more!
Crystal Dynamics is on the hunt for an amazing Character Concept Artist (mid-level) for our team! As a character concept artist, you will be responsible for working with Art Directors on the visual development for our multi-studio teams; providing insight and inspiration with your designs and illustrations as they build these pieces and weave them into the fabric of our games. This is an opportunity to use a wide variety of production artwork: environment and/or character designs, prop designs, paint overs, storyboards, color and lighting compositions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create concept designs and art direction materials that fit within the style guide and boundaries as set by the Art Director
- Assist in creating the style guide for the visual direction and language to be used throughout the project
- Provide in depth research, reference material, and develop conceptual ideas AND be able to communicate these ideas in a well-organized and visual manner
- Design a wide range of original concepts
- Create lighting, composition and mood, color studies, as well as storyboards
- Communicate across multiple departments and disciplines in an organized and clear manner
- Carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game content
- Professional experience as a concept artist within the games industry
- Portfolio demonstrating the following:
- Current-gen 3D art techniques
- Realistic characters
- Strong eye for quality and a demonstrable ability to create various types of concept art with an emphasis on designing hard surface concepts
- Exceptional understanding of color, mood, lighting and architecture with a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette
Bonus Skills & Experience
- Ability to utilize 3D modeling programs such as Maya, Zbrush, and/or Modo
- Familiarity with proprietary game engines and understanding of how software is utilized within the pipeline
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including, but not limited to, figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration
Crystal Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.