Associate Design Director, Brand Studio
Remote – US; Remote – Canada
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that’s transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to design a more enlightened way of working. From our headquarters in San Francisco to eight dedicated Studios and a worldwide team of employees who choose where they work best, our Virtual First approach is leading the way into the future of work.
Our Research & Design team crafts delightful experiences that make people’s lives easier. We’re a close-knit, collaborative group, guided by a highly iterative user-centered design process. Combining research, data, and thoughtful critique, we’re discovering needs and solving fundamental problems that impact work and life for millions of people around the world.
We are seeking an Associate Design Director with a sophisticated design approach to help elevate our visual identity and brand in our products. As a product design role, you will both design direct our brand within the product and also find untapped opportunities in the product for thoughtful brand expression. You’ll lead a unique team that will bridge product design and brand design through visual craft, education and by creating scalable design processes that help express our brand into the Dropbox products. Your role will be closely partnered with the Dropbox Interface Guidelines (DIG) design systems team and will report into the executive creative director leading the Brand Studio. The design systems team has 3-5 product designers; this role with be the brand & visual design voice in the room. It’s a pivotal role in maintaining our visual identity system guidelines in our products and critiquing design work with an eye for visual design, brand strategy and systems. Through pro-active collaboration with strategists, writers, designers and engineers, you will build creative ways to tell the Dropbox story.
- Elevate the visual design of our product and thoughtfully integrate the expression of our brand
- Comprehensively understand the Visual Identity System and Dropbox Interface Guidelines (DIG), and be able to identify areas for growth, refinement, consolidation or inconsistency.
- Act as a representative of brand in product teams, and a representative of product in brand team conversations.
- Ability to think end to end, ensuring design decisions in our product are in alignment with the rest of the customers experience outside of the product.
- Work collaboratively with brand and product design teams, critiquing and reviewing work during office hours, and building relationships across the design org.
- Provide internal education, training, new tooling, resources and ways for both brand and product teams to be more efficient and collaborative.
- Strong ability to write guidelines; coach and educate from those guidelines.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience working in-house.
- Fluency in Figma and Figma tooling
- A strong design portfolio showcasing web, digital, interactive, systems work.
- Excellent visual design and typography skills.
- Expert coaching and mentoring other designers on visual design.
- Able to independently drive multiple projects at a time, meet tight deadlines, and push projects further than expected.
- Pro-active and can push through ambiguity or challenge to give teams clear direction
- Effectively communicate ideas and strategic rationale.
- Engage in brainstorming sessions and constructive design critiques.
- Embrace an iterative design process and be receptive to feedback.
- Foster strong working relationships with team members and cross-functional partners.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience working on and contributing to design systems teams is a plus.
- Experience with motion and prototyping is a plus.
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Benefits and Perks
- Generous company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
- 401k + company match
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- 11 company paid holidays
- Volunteer time off
- Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)